Gisborne Autumn Colours - North American Style - alla Eastwoodhill Arboretum


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Gisborne
April 19th 2009
Published: April 19th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The last great holiday break for new zealand until November is Easter weekend (easter friday and monday) or four full days. Since my last trip through this region I decided that I must return during autumn to see the spectacular colours of eastwoodhill arboretum. One of my biggest complaints about NZ is that we don't have proper north american falls. The colour here at this time of year is a dull green... none of the reds, oranges, yellows, pumkins, falling leaves brisk mornings and crisp evenings.... but 30 minutes drive outside Gisborne an idividual had a dream that he couldreproduce what he saw during WWI in england here in NZ on his farm.... 90 odd years later we have eastwoodhill - the southern hemisphere's large collection of norther hemisphere trees.

http://www.eastwoodhill.org.nz/

I've kept the post short and left the four days up to the photos - the only way I have time to make my first post in 118 days... sorry for the absence.

I'll look forward to catching up with some of you in June.

Cheers,



Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Off the Grid and below the Radar Defenders of New ZealandOff the Grid and below the Radar Defenders of New Zealand
Off the Grid and below the Radar Defenders of New Zealand

There was a WWII/Vietnam/Korea army vehicle collectors club meeting, which meant the guys that also cache weapons came out of the hills for the weekend gathering - they just so happened to stay at our campground too.
The underground rock concert in the Bush.The underground rock concert in the Bush.
The underground rock concert in the Bush.

We heard about an alternative music concert that was being held in Gisborne over the easter weekend. We purchased tickets from a punk skater shop and were given directions to the concert. We left at 7pm for the concert and followed the directions provided. Soon we were out of the city limits, then down a dark single lane road that transistioned into a gravel road, that transistioned into a farm track that terminated in a sheep field (with no lights save one that was set up near the ticket/bag check). We left the car in the field and hiked up this steep inclined track closed in by trees which blocked out any moonlight available...we were walking in pitch black conditions... As we walked, perhaps a quarter of a mile you could begin to hear music coming from over the ridge. Eventually we arrived at the venue - in a clearing with stars for the ceiling and trees/brush/bird calls for the walls and in the middle a raving group of drunk and stoned uni students. The music was crap but the experience of this underground performance was priceless. When we left t 11 or so as we were drivingback down the long gravel road we came upon a couple dressed for an eveining in town... not the boon docks. We offered them a lift and ended up taking them to the hospital as one of them was obviously tripping out on something extreme "P"? He couldn't stop chewing his lip..."do you guys have any gum" he kept asking. ha ha.
Nuts a' PlentyNuts a' Plenty
Nuts a' Plenty

Without a population of squirrels in NZ there were uneaten nuts everywhere....
Doug FirDoug Fir
Doug Fir

It's been ages since I've seen he mighty magesty of the Pac West tree of choice. Non of this radita pine that NZ loves...
Turkey ChaseTurkey Chase
Turkey Chase

There were groups of turkey all over on the property
View from the upermost viewpoint down into the valleyView from the upermost viewpoint down into the valley
View from the upermost viewpoint down into the valley

An incredible hike of 45 minutes well worth the view down into the park. We got really lucky with the weather and progression of the autumn colours.
Because you'll ask for one!Because you'll ask for one!
Because you'll ask for one!

Damn tourists taking photos everywhere.


20th April 2009

Pinus radiata
Can I point out that I do not know a New Zealander who loves this tree. All i know is that it is an excellent export crop!!
2nd May 2009

Must be Japan
must be Japan, don't see any sheep in any of the photos. like the color saturation, contrast and lighting in your natural outdoors photos.
29th May 2009

hey!
you complained bitterly about my taking that photo of you having a wizz.... then you publish it online! huh! what an awesome trip

Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0564s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb