Beach Bums


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel
February 17th 2015
Published: February 17th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Day two started very early for us! We were up at 4:15am and eating breakfast in the room at 4:30. That sounds really early, and it is, but you must know that after our fun morning at Ambury Regional Park yesterday morning, we checked in to the motel, had lunch, shopped for a few breakfast items and snacks, and decided to take a nap before a planned night out for dinner and a stroll in Auckland. We laid down for the nap at 3pm, and woke up this morning at 4:15am. Yes, we slept for over 13 hours! We were wiped out! We each woke up from time to time during that long stretch, but we were both so tired we didn't bother to wake the other for dinner. If you know me at all, you know I don't skip meals. I like to eat and I'm always hungry, so skipping meals for me never happens. We were exhausted! But, the cool thing about sleeping that much is that you feel GREAT the next day! So we were off to an early start today and decided to drive to the Coromandel Peninsula for some South Pacific beach exploring. Our Indiana neighbors have been here before and recommended the area, and we were not disappointed! The drive along the shore was absolutely beautiful! We drove out to a beach off the beaten path and enjoyed having the sand nearly to ourselves! We found a starfish stranded on the beach as the tide went out and tossed him back into the water. We watched some locals digging for clams. We went tide pooling in the warm surf. We ate a pizza topped with mussels, fish, and squid. We hiked down a trail to a rocky arch on the shore. We saw thousands of cows in beautiful pastures. It was a great day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0621s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb