The Coromandel


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel
December 13th 2005
Published: December 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

MooreaMooreaMoorea

Lesley emerging from snorkeling on the coral

Cycling for Real



We left Auckland on 6 December catching the train into town and then the ferry to Coromandel town. A lovely day with the sun out but with a bit of cloud to help us up the hill. After a stop for lunch we started out on the steepest hill we could find straight up to 360 metres. We had spectacular views all the way up even when we were walking and then on the decent, seeing both sides of the peninsular.

Managed to call into another internet cafe to catch up with news from home. It's good to hear from everyone and know that we've lost another manager for instance. Carrying on around the Coromandel we stoppped at Hahei to visit the Cathedral Cove and go kayaking on the ocean. This coast is full of small villages almost deserted awaiting the holiday makers from Auckland to return at Christmas. A bit spooky really as they are lovely properties. Snorkeled at Gemstone Bay and say rays and large black fish. A bit different from Moorea.

We've now worked out that we should start out at 6.00 a.m. to avoid the heat and the traffic and
Tahiti from Moorea Tahiti from Moorea Tahiti from Moorea

Lesley with Tahiti in the background
have moved on out of the Coromandel into the Bay of Plenty stopping at the Katikati Naturist Holiday Park. And today we are off to Rotorua when we get to open a special letter from Anne and Graham given before we left.

We have had to remember so many birthdays this last week but I think we managed it.

Lesley writes
The hills are something else! but so far we have made it without arguing.
Our luck with the weather held for the 3rd time as we arrived somewhere the heaven opened but we stayed dry.
the park in this small place was very lovely and a perfect place to hole up during a very unsettled spell.
We are now about to find out if the bus companies are phased by a tandem!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

An island off MooreaAn island off Moorea
An island off Moorea

Michael and Lesley enjoying the sun and sea off Moorea.
Sign above KatikatiSign above Katikati
Sign above Katikati

New Zealand humour


13th December 2005

Don't think of it...
...as a manager lost, think of it as a rivalry reintensified when, as is inevitable, you two meet in the Championship next season.

Tot: 0.177s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1037s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb