In search of Aslam


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Waihi
December 2nd 2010
Published: December 2nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Wow - wiggly roads


Tales from the cryptTales from the cryptTales from the crypt

That's Diana in there ...
‘I’m going upstairs now’ William has just told me … and we are living in a Toyota Previa!
For the next 19 days William and Emily will be sleeping in a top-box, as their mother and father fight for inches and the duvet in what we are already calling ‘the hearse’. Spaceships© are cool. Spaceships© are groovy … perhaps the images on the website of lots of cheerful, carefree and (importantly) very flexible twenty-somethings should have given it away! The permutations of eating, cooking, sleeping, storing and driving for a family of four all within a volume less than a typical downstairs toilet would surely have challenged Mr Rubik!
Awake this morning by 7.00 am (Yes – including Diana!) it still took us nearly three hours to leave the campsite … granted there was some ‘horror’ to be endured by William! The drive from Coromandel to the east coast of the peninsula over the mountains via route 309 was spectacular, if a little hairy in places. Numerous gorges full of the most amazing ferns and bromilliads made us feel as if we had strayed onto the set of ‘Jurassic Park’ or back in time 65,000,000 years.
Coromandel’s East coast is more sandy and more pounded by the ocean, judging by the erosion we saw around the walk we enjoyed to Cathedral Cove (Narnia!) and back. It is also more convoluted as a coastline explaining our longer than expected journey time to Waihi. We arrived in scorching sunshine at Waihi Beach campsite, only for Diana to don her bikini and quickly put an end to all that … still, we all enjoyed our time in the pool and hot-tub despite the threatening clouds and dropping temperatures. An early supper was followed by a DVD show within the hearse (Star Trek), once a few smacks had been applied to the aging DVD player. Meanwhile P enjoyed faster broadband connection (at a picnic table overlooking the Pacific) than he does at work and especially at home, via the Information Superhighway cart-track in North Dorset.

P




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



2nd December 2010

Brrrrrrrrrr
Life seems idyllic and ooohhhh so warm compared with the frozen wastes of the UK. School closed, wood burner burning brightly, NZ looks great. Thanks
3rd December 2010

So where do the eels fit in the BatMobile?

Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb