New Zealand - Coromandel


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Coromandel » Coromandel Town
November 19th 2008
Published: November 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hi everybody

Change of plans today.

We had already planned to the Coromandel pennsiula today for a two night stay. However when we arrived in Coromandel Town we discovered that the actual Holiday Park was some 4 miles outside of town and miles from anywhere. No Restaurants of any description, and more importantly no watering holes. So it was a drive back into the town, find a shop and settle for a 'cook in' in the van, only the second time in three weeks. Nancy reckons we are slowly turning into Kiwi because we having to go to bed earlier than normal because the Kiwi's tend to go to bed at 9 pm (or so its seems) and everything closes down.

And Jack l had a very nice bottle of Cloudy Bay with and after the meal of sausage, mash and beans. Very nice for a change.

Anyway we decided that we would just stay one night and move on in the morning. Before we set off on the next drive we stopped off at the Driving Creek Railway which you have to see to believe. This is a world class narrow gauge train ride through kauri plantings up to the Eyefull Tower (yes l have spelt it correctly). The views from the summit are breathtaking with great panoramic views of the pennsiula and towards Auckland in the distance. The railways also comprises a pottery and gardens. Nancy says that it made the arduous drive up the pennsiula really really worthwile. Nancy reckons the railway has been one of the many hightlights of the trip - so far. It was so good that l bought a video!!!

As l said we changed our plans and made a decision to just have one night in Coromandel and one night in Orewa and then travel to the Bay of Islands and the Russell for three nights before setting back to Auckland and onwards to Fiji.

Much as l enjoy making this our diary of the trip it would be very nice to have some feedback and even perhaps somes questions about NZ and the trip.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.168s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb