New Zealand Road Trip


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 30 - Saturday 19th May

Drove to carpark for Cathedral Cove where it felt quite breezy and cool. The four of us took a walk along the very scenic coast path stopping at Gemstone Bay and Stingray bay on the way to Cathedral Cove. It was all very pretty and for the most part, we walked on a path through bush (full of palms, tree ferns, and some big trees) and some fields. The sea all along was a gorgeous turquoise blue colour! It turned out to be a hot and sunny walk, we could have worn shorts, t-shirt and flip flops rather than the jeans, jumpers, coats and walking shoes!! Initially we laughed at sar when she suggested changing into shorts for the walk, but we wished we had! It was the hottest day so far!! But for Amz who had flown in from Australia, she was finding it quite cold!! Crazy!

Cathedral Cove is so named because of the huge arch, tall enough inside to be a cathedral..maybe! The sand was so fair aswell! Nice! There were 140..something steps down to the cove...just one or two then! Poor Nik!!

When we finally reached the car park again, we drove on to Hot Water Beach to catch the low tide so we could sit in the hot water on the beach!! Low tide was 3.01pm and we reached it at 3.20 ish. We hired a spade from a cafe up the road, and walked up the beach. You could see as soon as you got on the beach where the hot water was with the large group of people already there! Oooh, some bits were BOILING HOT Sar and amz managed to walk onto the boiling bit before they realised how hot it was!!! So, we dug away, created a warm pool (with the aid of an older couple) and sat in it for a matter of minutes before the tide rushed in and we froze! Up we jumped to find somewhere further from the edge! Sar digging away...scared other people away...ha ha...only joking! Sar, amz and gem managed to lie in the pool for a short while( nik watered her toes) before the tide came closer and the water started seaping away. We got there just in time we think! Out of the water, it was freezing! The wind was rather chilly! Shame the warm weather didn't stay an hour or two longer! Amz and nik walked back to the camper, while sar and gem had a wander across the beach collecting some pretty, colourful shells...again..more shells!

Back in the carpark while other cars left, we stayed to cook our tea!! The darkness fell very quickly!

We dropped the spade off up the road and gem drove up to Coromandel. We decided to take a 'short cut' ! A tarmac road which not far along changed to a single gravel / dirt track!! It was VERY windy through very hilly, forested terrain with many hairpin bends! Good job it was dark and we couldn't see much!! Wouldn't like to have seen over the edge! Gem got the windy AND gravel road for a change! It usually works out as nikki-gravel roads, sar-windy roads, gem- good roads!

When we reached Corromandel we found a little campsite- Long Bay Campsite- next to a cove. Very naughtilly, we only had 3 passengers that instance...um ....no twins that night!! Sar ducked under a duvet! Naughty!



Advertisement



23rd May 2007

wish we were there
Very interesting to read your adventures.... I wish I was there... Keep writing ! Have fun ! Claudine
24th May 2007

camper van!
ello madams! sounds like fun trip, hot pool thing sound ace :) toodaloo! jx

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb