NZ - Rotorua to Coromandel Peninsula


Advertisement
Published: November 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

20thNovember 2011

We saved the best until last! A beautiful sunny morning and by 10.00 we were at Whakarewarewa Thermal Village (thats the short name!!) The long name is Tewhakarewarewatangaoteopetauaawahiao which means – All the people that live in this village are direct descendents of Chief Wahiao! Took the guided tour of the village where it was explained that this was still a village where Maori people live and they do their cooking in the hot pools, bathe in the hot water, and the culture of the Maori people. We then had a half hour show of dancing, singing and the hakka before we were then allowed to wander freely in the village, exploring the streets and the churches with its graveyard of the chiefs and guides. We did the hours nature walk which gave you views of the village and the 2 geysers which erupt regularly and feed some of the village pools. Then went to the cafe to have a whaka hangi pie and sweetcorn, both of which had been cooked in the hot pools! Absolutely delicious!

An hours drive took us through kiwi-fruit orchards surrounded by 6 metre hedges which act as windbreaks , to Mount Maunganui. This is a dormant volcano cone, 232 metres high and also the site of a Maori habitation for the last 1000 years. On recommendation, it had to be climbed (thanks Sue!) and it didn’t disappoint, as we had fantastic clear views of the sea and beaches although it was extremely windy!

Decided to stay the night here as the campsite overlooked the sea and they also have the only geothermally heated hot salt water pools!! After our swim and relax in the pools, we had a wander along the sea front – spectacular beaches with golden sand and islands, lined with the huge native pohutukawa trees – silver buds with bottle-brush red flowers! Found a Thai restaurant called Dui’s and had the most amazing Thai food! Wonderful atmosphere and highly recommended! The campsite also had free wifi....but it didn’t work!! (Info: Distance 92km)




Monday 21st November

A beautiful sunrise over the sea at about 6.00am and then on the road by 8.30am - another bright sunny day! Meandered up the coast, our first stop being Katikati - a town with lots of murals, and a bronze sculpture of Barry and Jack! Ran along the coast at Athenree and Waihi Beach and then stopped to look at Martha open caste gold mine and a100 year old Cornish Pumphouse! Also had a quick wander round the museum before driving along the twisty road to Opoutere for lunch! Had a stroll down through the forest that runs alongside the estuary, to the beach, which is also home and breeding-ground to the New Zealand Dotterel – a small endangered wading bird – only 1400 left in the wild! We were lucky enough to see one running around the beach – Chris also saw a few chicks! It was a beautiful beach with golden sand and a turquoise sea dotted with islands. Had a quick stop at Tairua and a walk along the estuary front, admiring all the houses and gardens. As time was getting on we thought it best to drive to Hahei to camp the night, and to do the renowned hour or so walk(each way) to Cathedral Cove.

It was still sunny when we left the pink shelled beach of Hahei at the start of the walk but it clouded over unfortunately so the views were not quite so stunning, but Cathedral Cove was still very impressive with its turquoise sea and cave, with white chalky cliffs surrounded by pohutukawa trees.

Back to the campsite just as it started drizzling and amused ourselves by feeding the sparrows, blackbirds and thrushes that seemed quite happy to come right into the van to find bits on the floor – until I startled a blackbird that then panicked because it couldn’t fly out of the window! Spent rest of evening cleaning up! (Info: Distance 197km)

Tuesday 22nd November

Birds were back again this morning, checking out the van for breadcrumbs, including Mrs Blackbird!!

Lovely sunny day and we got to Hot Water Beach about 8.30am where there was already a small crowd digging their holes! Hired a spade and walked along the beach and were lucky enough to take over a hot pool that someone else had already dug! Still needed a lot of maintenance by Chris as the sand kept falling in, and you had to go careful not to burn your feet! Still it was very pleasant sat on the beach in hot salt water even though the sand flies left me a few bites as souvenirs!

Cut across the peninsular to Thames, an old gold mining town and had a wander around and a look at the bird hide before driving on to Miranda Shorebird Wildlife Centre. Did the hour walk to the hide and spotted a lot of Godwits (they fly from Alaska to NZ for the summer feeding grounds before flying back to Alaska to breed - a round trip of up to 30,000 kilometers !!)

Couldn’t resist a last dip in the largest mineral pool in New Zealand and spent an hour in the Spa and Pool before going to Sue and Mikes fantastic bungalow, with views and a garden to die for, for a lovely meal and evening catching up! Chris even had a hair cut – Mike had to use Snoopy the poodles’ dog clippers!! (Info: distance 181kms)


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 34; dbt: 0.0524s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb