East As Trip


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty
December 7th 2009
Published: December 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Tokomaru BayTokomaru BayTokomaru Bay

the mountains have more of a peak on them than the ones we have seen before

Chased by Rain!



Hello! After we left Gisborne we headed up the Pacific Coast Highway and ended up in a mountainous village called Tolaga Bay. Tolaga Bay is known for its longest wharf in NZ ( 660 m) which was constructed in the 20's. Currently there is construction taking place to restore it.
(Sorry we didn't take any photos here..you'll have to come visit to see it or google it)
Also, in Tolaga Bay is Cook's Walkway-to see where Captain Cook first landed in 1769. We trekked 1/2 of the way only to find out that our video camera was dead. So we decided that the next day would be best!

We stayed at another Holiday Park which was by the beach . At night you could only hear the waves crashing into the rocks and in the morning no birds or traffic woke us up! (it was very nice for a change)

As we were going to do the trek again it started to rain and as our video camera isn't waterproof we decided to keep on driving.

Te Aroaroa



This place is known for having the oldest and largest pohutukawa tree.
Pohutukawa treesPohutukawa treesPohutukawa trees

What they look like from afar
( Trees with red flowers) It is also a very small village. Te Aroaroa is also close to the most Easterly Lighthouse in the North Island. The east cape lighthouse is the first to see the sunrise everyday.

Unfortunately, we were unable to see the lighthouse due to the rain.

Whakatane & Awakeri Springs



As we hit Whakatane (fa-ka-ta-ne), we were back in the Bay of Plenty Region. Here we toured around and made our way to Awakeri to relax in natural hot spring pools. It too began to rain the 2nd night. It seemed we just couldn't escape the rain!

We are now back in Tauranga and looking for a flat (place to live).
Carla begins work soon and Nick has been picking up odd jobs at one of the agencies.

Well this concludes another week of our travels and as always we would love to hear from you!!

Most likely our next blog will be in a couple of weeks so be patient all you loyal readers out there!

Until next time I'll leave you with a quote: The world is a book and those who do not travel
Tokomaru BayTokomaru BayTokomaru Bay

cool picture of the landscape and the sky
read only one page. - St. Augustine

Cheers!







Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Pohutukawa trees upclosePohutukawa trees upclose
Pohutukawa trees upclose

notice the red flowers
 Sign Sign
Sign

They have lots of these signs along the coast!
MT HikurangiMT Hikurangi
MT Hikurangi

Tallest mountain in the north island. Its 1754 m peak. We hope to climb it before we leave! The clouds were low so can't really see how tall it is in this picture
Setting up CampSetting up Camp
Setting up Camp

Nick pumping up the air mattress in Te Araroa
White IslandWhite Island
White Island

The most active marine volcano! There are daily tours out to this island to the crater.
Mount EdgecombMount Edgecomb
Mount Edgecomb

The tallest non-volcanic mountain in the north island. closed in summer due to fire hazard.
Awakeri Hot SpringsAwakeri Hot Springs
Awakeri Hot Springs

The pools. So refreshing!
another BBQanother BBQ
another BBQ

This was soo good.
Eating a Maketu Pie in MaketuEating a Maketu Pie in Maketu
Eating a Maketu Pie in Maketu

Nick eating a steak and cheese maketu pie. They are so good and are 3.00 a pie!
Funny SignFunny Sign
Funny Sign

they have lots of signs with kiwifruit the signs reads-" Never pass on a yellow line"


8th December 2009

Looking good!
As I am sitting here knowing that it is about minus 32 outside -and I am sure that it will get colder by morning, I have to say, all your pictures look so nice and summery even the ones with the fog or clouds. The food looks good too! Good to see your pics.
13th December 2009

food
So do you guys like the food over there?!? Are you getting skinny from it or what?!?! haha.. or have you guys gotten tubbier ;]
17th December 2009

Wow! Make Me Wanna Visit With You!
Hello Nick and Carla! How you doing? Looks like you are having a GREAT TIME! Love the pictures. Makes me miss the warm weather, not to mention the food. I mean, who doesnt LOVE BAR B Q'S! Going home to the Farm for Christmas soon. Don't worry Nick, I will eat some of Mom's Cabbage Rolls for u and all the other good stuff. Miss you and Love u both.

Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.068s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb