Last days on North Island


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty
September 24th 2008
Published: September 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 24th September

Yesterday was a day of recovery, both tired and Rags' foot painful. We did go for quite a long walk around the neighbourhood in the morning, especially alongside the estuary.

In the afternoon we went to Fernland Spa where we soaked in hot mineral waters for about 30 mins before both having a deep tissue massage. This was most enjoyable and we felt much better afterwards.

Today was a day of preparation as we leave for the North Island tomorrow. Besides washing and packing we set about the task of cleaning both the house and the car. This was after Judy went for an hour long jog around the bay, coming back with wet shoes from jogging on the sand at low tide. She was so happy that she didn't have any pain in her knee! People have beautified much of the foreshore areas - there was even a huge pond full of water lillies.

This kept us busy until lunchtime after which we drove to a local attraction, Quarry Park. This park was built and maintained by volunteers since 1997. It stands on what was once an ugly scar on the mountain range, a disused quarry. Different groups have added to the park either with plantings of all different types or through the use of sculptures. Very interesting and a credit to all of those who participate.

From here it was up the highway to Katikati to see the display of Haiku Boulder walk. This was a walk alongside a river with boulders spread out along it, many with haiku poems engraved in them. For those who don't know what a haiku poem is, it is a 3 lined poem with 5 syllables in the first and third lines, 7 in the second. (Wikipedia helped with that! )

A bit of last minute shopping at Woolies followed, scallops couldn't be resisted and we've eaten them as an entree already.

Tonight is our last night here as mentioned earlier, and even though we are excited about the next part of our trip, we are a little sad about leaving 'home'. Home exchange is a great way to travel, thanks Bill & Bette.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Views over OmokoroaViews over Omokoroa
Views over Omokoroa

Omokoroa, where we are staying is the peninsula that protrudes the furthest. Beyond it is an island.


24th September 2008

North Island
Have enjoyed reading about your travels around the North Island. Safe travelling to the South. Will be looking forward to seeing the Pics. Wish it was me. Love ya lots
24th September 2008

yummo
Im jealous! Scallops!!!! Make sure we get food shots please ;-)
25th September 2008

Love the photos. What a good idea to show a plate of food. I will use this idea of showing small detail and not just the big picture when we go to Canberra next week.Thanks and enjoy the south island. Love Kerry.
30th September 2008

Enjoy
Have a great time in Canberra. We are in the Catlins in NZ. Not much Internet here so we'll have to save our blog update until we get a wireless connection at the right price! cheers J

Tot: 0.507s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 35; qc: 138; dbt: 0.1895s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb