TAURANGA, NZ FROM THE OOSTERDAM


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Plenty » Tauranga
February 17th 2014
Published: February 17th 2014
Edit Blog Post

TAURANGA, NZ AND KIWIFRUIT - CRUISE DAY 2



An 8:00 am tour and the first day at sea made the breakfast lines in the buffet an extreme challenge. Holland America’s policy for the first couple of days requires that passengers be served rather than self serve. The lines were too long, so I went without breakfast rather than put up with the frustration. I’ll make up the calories later. The weather was very nice and the 36 people on my tour had the pleasure of a pleasant bus driver and narrator to show us some of the highlights of the area as we drove through the city to the Georgian style Elms Mission House and gardens which was completed in 1847 by A. N. Brown on land purchased from Maori to carry out his missionary duties for the Church Missionary Society of England.



Next, on to the Kiwi 360 grove, a part of the kiwi growers of New Zealand production of one of the country’s major exports. The Kiwifruit (aka “Chinese Gooseberry”) was first planted in the rich New Zealand volcanic soil in 1904. We had a very expert guide who shared many of the details of the procedures involved in the production of kiwi fruit. Renting bees, importing temporary labor, coping with big supermarket chains, etc, are all facing this industry. After the tour, we were invited to share scones with kiwi fruit and coffee. Very welcome first food of the day.



Back to the ship and preparation for the first “formal night” dinner of the cruise.

ILYS

TKB


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

TAURANGA HARBORTAURANGA HARBOR
TAURANGA HARBOR

FROM THE SHIP
TUURANGA HARBOR TUURANGA HARBOR
TUURANGA HARBOR

FROM THE SHIP


Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb