New Zealand History at the Bay of Islands


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
March 5th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -35.1813, 174.199

Up in time today to see the ship pull into the bay as the day dawned, we were charmed to see a pod of dolphins swimming along keeping pace with the ship. There were at least six of them, but I imagine there were more. At one point we saw four jumping at the same time followed by two more a few yards behind them. They entertained us and some folks on the Promenade Deck below us for quite a while. As we slowed more and the dolphins neared a rocky area in their path, I lost sight of any of them. This was the best dolphin sighting we have had on this trip, and one of the best we've ever had.

A lot of waiting was involved in the shore excursion to Waitangi Treaty House and grounds, Rainbow Falls, and the Stone Store today. We received a notice a few days ago that the tour time was moved earlier by 45 minutes. Turned out we had to wait in the theatre (shore excursion meeting point) for about that long while the ship cleared customs. Once we were seated in the tender rocking and rolling with the waves, we had to wait on a man who forgot something and had to go back and find it. After visiting the Treaty House, we had to wait on a woman who did not show up on time for the bus ride to the next stop. The forgetful man apologized and thanked everyone in the nearby vicinity inside the tender for waiting. The woman didn't say a thing and didn't seem concerned at all that she had kept the group of about thirty people waiting on a hot bus while the ship's escort and the bus driver looked for her. I think the Spanish-speaking woman probably did not understand the instructions on where and when to meet the driver. In that case, I would have expected her to stay with the group rather than wandering off on her own. Her friend who was on the bus had a cell phone, but she was unwilling to call her since the call might be expensive, so everyone else was inconvenienced.

I didn't make 10,000 steps today, because I am still dragging from a cold. I decided a nap was more important today, but I will be back on track as soon as I feel better.

This morning we preordered breakfast asking for the 7 – 7:15 delivery time. They arrived at 6:37 with no apology. We were awake, but just starting to get going. It was a very busy day and time for them, but that was way outside the window of reasonable.

For dinner, we wanted to order off the Grill's menu, but did not have a copy of it. I read somewhere in their literature that we could order "In Suite" dining as well as room service. Phil went to the Concierge Lounge for help. Albert, who has been very helpful, was not there and his temporary replacement didn't seem to know how to answer the question. First she said that the menu was in the room, but the only menu in the room is the regular room service one. Then she said that the butler would bring it, but we don't have a butler. They are only for the Queen's Grill guests. Then she called our room about ten minutes later and told us the butlers were not for Princess Grill guests which we knew. Phil explained again that we wanted to see the daily Princess Grill menu. This time she said to give her ten minutes and she would see to it that we received it. About the time we were going to call again, a steward showed up with the menu.

We ordered and received the tray of food just at the end of, but within, the normal time expected. When I called after dinner for someone to pick up the room service tray, an attendant arrived quickly. However, he told me that I should have put the tray outside myself and someone would get it on their rounds. I told him that it was too heavy for me. His expression showed that my statement perplexed him, but he just repeated that I should put it outside and it would be picked up quickly because they were very busy. The service which has been quite good on most of the trip certainly slipped today in the room service and concierge lounge departments.


Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb