Day 20 - The Bay of Islands (30 December)


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
December 30th 2012
Published: December 31st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Bay of Islands at the top of New ZealandBay of Islands at the top of New ZealandBay of Islands at the top of New Zealand

Seems a pretty area but unfortunately a gray & misty final port day.
Today we are in the furthest north point on the eastern side of the North Island and it rained. We have been caught in the tail end of a cyclone. The sea is quite choppy and the only way to shore is by tender.

As we are going to be at sea for the next two days we decided to get off and visit Waitangi and across the single lane version of the Sydney bridge to Paihia. Poor Don has a cold and is not a happy bunny.

The waves going across were quite high. The towns were a big disappointment; dirty and shabby. If the weather had been brighter we may have taken a sailing trip around some of the 140+ islands. They even count a big rock an island. So instead we took the tender back to the ship, had a light lunch and sat down to read, study, and knit.

Don had a lie down before dinner. During dinner I complained to Aliza that the laundry had shrunk my t-shirts. She said that she was about to complain that they had shrunk her skirts! We are all dieting from Wednesday afternoon.

I lost my $10 win in the casino. Then we got our last bag of laundry together. We didn't have 52 things but there was still enough stuff to fill the bag. The clocks go back tonight so we get an extra hour's sleep.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.187s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1011s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb