Bay of Islands


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
November 21st 2012
Published: November 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

Long boatLong boatLong boat

Replica of one used to travel here.
We travelled from Auckland up to the bay of islands, Pahia to be exact. The journey was easy, stopping at a place that produces honey and learned that mobile phones can affect the bees ability to find their way back to the nest because it affects the magnetic field and confuses them. Stopped at the oldest town in NZ, where Scottish migrants settled, their journey was horrendous taking them through Nova Scotia, South Africa, Australia and finally NZ. Cafe there and we had absolutely delicious lunch. They still have the Highland Games there. We arrived at the retreat where we had booked a studio overlooking the bay. The views from the windows and balcony are amazing, the inside dated but clean. We then drove into Pahia and shopped, really looking forward to cooking a meal.

Next morning we awoke to drizzle which turned to rain. I didn't feel too well, we ate lunch and it was still raining. We decided to go to see the treaty grounds at Waitangi. In 1841 the British signed a treaty with the Maori's and saw where Thomas Busby lived with his wife and 11 children, house was tiny but the gardens and setting stunning. Busby was the first person to grow vines in NZ and helped to formulate the treaty. Nice place to go featuring lovely grounds and board walks through the forest and a canoe that was made by the Maori's and is in the Guiness book of records but $25 admission charge each seemed excessive for what there was but then we have been in South America where things were much less expensive so not comparing like for like. Weather not good if it had been dry we would have stayed here longer, also we couldn't get into the Maori building as there was a performance going on.

We then travelled by road to Russel and took the car ferry. Russel is such a pretty place, full of colonial buildings and an excellent pub called the Duke of Malborough right on the shore which allegedly you can watch the sunset and sup an ale or two however in the rain its much nicer inside. Russel would be a lovely place to stay it has more charm than Pahia however if you want to explore the north then Pahia is more convenient we made the most of the day and returned home to a steak supper.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.244s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.111s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb