Paihia and the Bay of Islands


Advertisement
Published: July 14th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So, after a brief stay in Auckland, we decided to head out of the city and go exploring. Whilst in NZ, we wanted to have very little in the way of plans and so decided to pretty much wing it and see what happened. After looking at several of the billion maps and flyers we seemed to have accumulated, we decided that we would head North up the east coast towards Northland until we eventually got to ... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 21


Advertisement




14th July 2012

How wonderful that you had great weather...
I imagine it changed by the time you got to the South Island. We plan to drive the same route as you north from Auckland. It looks so beautiful. Hope it is sunney for us. Having a camper must have saved you a lot of money on food. Are the prices at the grocery stores for basics such as bread, butter, cheese, sandwich meats and juices and other picnic fixings ok?
17th July 2012

.
Weather in Sth Island has actually been OK to be honest however it has been a few degrees colder for sure! The driving here really is beautiful and although everybody raves about the South, the North is also very impressive indeed. We have saved a lot by buying in the supermarkets. Pak n save is the cheapest followed by Coutdown and things are OK, but can be on the pricey side. Cheese for instance is really expensive here, however if you have one of the homebrands or 1kg blocks, you can keep the costs down. Dont know how it would compare to the states but its abnout the same as what we would pay back in England for this stuff.
17th July 2012

Sweet as
Hi Mike and Donna, Great to see the weather played its part for you up north - lovely photos of the beaches. And you're even picking up some Kiwi slang ;-) Did you find the fudge shop in Paihia? :-P When you're in Kerikeri try some oranges from one of the roadside fruit stalls. They're really good too. Are you staying in Auckland for a while after the northern adventure?
18th July 2012

.
Hi Jo. Yep, been really lucky with the weather...cant complain! We didnt find the shop unfortunately, but have now tried some in Arrowtown (blog is a little behind!) Off to Oz tomorrow so our NZ trip has come to an end......so many blogs to get up here its unreal!! Still, will start updating soon! Take care - Mike and Donna
18th July 2012

hair
Hello Michael and Donna. I have a question for you Michael. I see you're losing your hair and have decided to grow it. I am also losing my hair but have it short. Does growing it longer keep your head warmer in the winter? Love the pictures by the way. Bay of Islands looks great.
24th July 2012

.
Man I miss that banter........ For your information, I will only be happy when I am constantly mistaken for Terry Nutkins the popular Wildlife presenter.

Tot: 0.073s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0534s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb