Retracing our steps


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
December 4th 2007
Published: February 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Have you ever traveled backwards? Since Alan and I boarded the Regent ship, Mariner, in Auckland, we have done exactly that. In 2005, we sailed on the Voyager from Los Angeles to Sydney via French Polynesia where we fell in love with the gentle South Pacific Islands and warm, lazy sea days. Now, we are retracing our steps through the area on a cruise from Auckland to LA.

Today the ship is anchored in Bay of Islands, New Zealand. On our last stop here, we explored the quaint town of Russell plus attended a Maori cultural experience at the Treaty House.

We could have joined friends on a catamaran to “hole in the rock” but, after ten days of hectic New Zealand touring, we’re ready for relaxation. So, Alan and I make the stop a “sea day.” Taking advantage of the sunny weather, we walk the outside track for 22 dizzy laps (2 miles). Afterwards, it’s time for a little sun on the balcony.

After “all aboard” at 3 pm, the ship hosts an ice cream social and sail-away toast on the pool deck. Ice cream and champagne? It’s an interesting combination.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.374s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 22; qc: 146; dbt: 0.146s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb