Paihia


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands
October 2nd 2005
Published: October 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We get up and it is still cold and rainy. We go out for breakfast and book a bus tour that will take us to Cape Reinga, drop us off and pick us up a few days later. Then decide to take a ferry to Russell, the city where the Waitangi Treaty (between English and Maori people) was signed. It was the first capital of NZ for one year until it was moved to Wellington. The Maori (mow, like cow - ree), like the American Indian basically got screwed out of their land (isn’t that what usually happens to native people). Russell is a quaint little seaside town. We go to the museum, see a giant fig tree at the police station, which is also the police officer’s house. We see the Duke of Marlborough hotel, the first hotel in NZ and have lunch at a quaint little tearoom by the sea. From Russell we take a boat ride out to Cape Brett to see the “Hole in the Rock”. It is a pretty rough trip, some people are getting sick, but we do okay. The “Hole in the Rock” is impressive and we have had a good day despite the rain.
We get back to our hotel and are worried about heading to Cape Reinga to tent camp with the bad weather. Michael decides to ask our hotel if we can stay there an extra day and see if the weather breaks. The owner convinces Michael that the weather is getting better. He says to take our stuff and take the bus tomorrow. If we decide that we don’t want to stay at Cape Reinga, have the bus driver radio his office and they will call the hotel to tell them we are returning. It turned out to be excellent advice.
I’m tired of eating out and we have a little kitchen with a table in our room, so we get a few things and fix dinner at home.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0241s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb