Last Day in Paradise


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
October 12th 2014
Published: October 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

October 12 - Today we headed out to sea! It was a bit breezy, but the clouds took a break, and there was no rain. I came prepared -- coat, pants, sweater, wool socks, long underwear, hat and sun tan lotion! I might have looked a little odd, but I was quite comfortable sitting up on the top of the boat. David wandered the boat looking for photo opportunities.

Our captain described our route which would take us through a number of small islands. As we passed each one, he related interesting bits of information and stories. He told us how Captain James Cook came to these islands, and how the area was the base for the South Pacific whaling fleet in the 1830's. Most of the islands have Maori names like Urupukapuka, Kororareka, Motukiekie, Motuarohai and Motukokako. Cape Brett and Piercy Island or Motukokako was the last island on our trip. The Cape Brett lighthouse operated from 1901 until it was replaced by an automated light in 1978. This has happened all over the world leaving abandoned lighthouses behind. Piercy Island is home to 'The Hole in the Rock'. Unfortunately, the seas were too rough on this day to go through it. David did get some great shots.

On the way back, the boat stopped at one of the islands where we disembarked and went for a short hike. On both the outgoing and return trips, we searched for dolphins. We didn't spot any dolphins, but we did see orcas, which explains why we didn't see any dolphins. The captain said orcas are only spotted about once every three or four weeks.

At the end of the cruise, we could choose to be dropped off in Paihia or Russell. We disembarked in Russell where we were given tickets to take the passenger ferry when we wanted to return to Paihia. It was nearly lunchtime, so we decided to have desert!

In the evening, we decided that there were no restaurants in Paihia with a view as good as the one at our B&B, so we drove into town and ordered take-out from a Thai restaurant. After dinner, we slid into the hot tub and watched the sun go down. We will miss paradise but are so grateful we were given the chance to experience it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



30th October 2014

A new take on layers -
You not only experienced NZ but you really have captured it in words and pictures - The next time someone goes to NZ and they are told to bring layers you will know why. Layers are not just found in Photoshop! Thanks for coming - It looks like it's us to the big country next.
30th October 2014

I'm the Queen of Layers!
Thanks, Brian. I hope the words and photos will save others from having to invest in more clothing after arriving in your wonderful country. (Although, it is probably good for the economy.) I look forward to you joining us in our BIG country -- I'm starting a training program so I can make it up the mountain (well, at least a little further.)
30th October 2014

End of the road!
Really glad you got to see and do so much here. And yes, we get plenty of 'be prepared' weather days as you now well know!
30th October 2014

It was a lovely ending!
It's been a fabulous journey! And the weather was part of the journey.
30th October 2014

South Pacific Adventure
I think this was the perfect trip for you both after David's release from bondage. The pictures and commentary have been great thanks for allowing me to enjoy the sights and you experienced them. Love the shot from the hot tub, not sure I would want to leave.
30th October 2014

What a way to end!
You're so right, Allan! It was the perfect trip! We really didn't want to leave -- but home is not such a bad place either.
30th October 2014

Cheers to paradise
With all of our travels, Dave's favorite is still NZ. Beauty around every corner.
2nd November 2014

Paradise
I think Dave's got it right! Spectacular!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb