Paihia and Cape Reinga


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Paihia
November 2nd 2013
Published: January 8th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We started our Kiwi Experience adventure on 2nd November. We left Auckland to go to the beautiful seaside town of Paihia.

On the way to Paihia, we stopped at a sheep farm called Sheep World where we were able to feed calves and lambs!

We stayed at the Pipi Patch in Paihia which was a pretty cool little hostel. The dorms have an ensuite bathroom and shower as well as a kitchenette. It's also attached to a bar which I'm pretty sure is the only bar in Paihia!

Whilst here, we did the walk up to the Harura Falls. Although the actual waterfall isn't spectacular, the walk itself is just lovely. You pass over a board walk where you are able to walk through a mangrove forest.
It was at high tide when we walked through the mangrove forest and it looked beautiful. On our way back from the waterfalls, it was at low tide. There is a constant loud cracking sound which is made by the snapping shrimp. I am so happy that we were able to see the forest both at high tide and at low tide.

We also did a day trip to Cape Reinga. On the way, we stopped to do a short walk through the Kauri Forest. The Kauri trees really are massive. Apparently, if you hug the Kauri tree, some of the tree's spirit goes into you and some of your spirit goes into the tree.
Who knows, we hugged the tree anyway.

Cape Reinga was really beautiful. The Maori people believe that this is where their spirit goes on their journey to the Afterlife, before departing to Hawaiki.

You also get to see where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific Sea.




During this day trip, we also visited 90 Mile Beach. James dug up some shellfish from the sand and took them home to cook...
I gave that meal a miss but he said it wasn't good!

We also did a spot of sand boarding!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb