Kerikeri Organic!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Kerikeri
January 31st 2010
Published: January 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

the farm storethe farm storethe farm store

self service, all the fresh, organic goodies you could dream of
How can I possibly explain our time at Kerikeri Organic? Well, from the moment we arrived, we were surrounded with a feeling of being at home. The overwhelming sense that this was land that was loved, lived on and sustaining to a big, happy family was everywhere; and from the very beginning we knew that we were a part of something good, and that's a good feeling!

The WWOOF cabin on the property which was our home for one week was a simple, hand built structure, and we LOVED it! two bed rooms with curtains instead of doors opened into one large room which held two couches, a fire place, a wooden kitchen table two gas burners, and a modest book shelf- full of books. We had running water, a small shower, a bed and... well, what else is there? Oh, a toilet, there wasn't one of those in there but there was an outhouse out back. A functioning compost toilet, and as usual, we're happy to help... any way we can.

The cabin also came with an absolutely wonderful, loving and joyfully silly german woman who has been a self-proclaimed kiwi for nearly 10 years. While she lived about 10 meters behind us in a sweet little, blue camper, she shared a shower and a kitchen with her, and enjoyed every minute of it.

Each morning we woke up at about 7am, had a coffee and a quick breakfast (usually cereal or toast with marmite), and then headed up the trail, in our work clothes, to meet Marty in the shop. Another cup of coffee was always waiting for us which we all enjoyed together, along with some good laughs, before we headed out to the farm to begin the day's tasks.

It really was back-breaking work, and while i'm sure Joe probably wouldn't be able to agree, it was the most demanding physical labor I have ever done. Never mind, Joe agrees. But it was work we were honestly HAPPY to do. We stayed in the fields hours past our obligatory 4 hours/day, not because we had something to prove, but because we cared about the farm and the people who spent their lives living on it and from it. It was a bond that was surprisingly deep for only having had one week to sprout.

We drove away from Kerikeri Organic with darker
the front porch of our sweet cabinthe front porch of our sweet cabinthe front porch of our sweet cabin

home sweet home, miss it already
skin, stronger muscles, and some pretty serious blisters. We were so sad to go, but happier than ever that it happened in the first place! And to think, all because we tried our luck at a little farmers market one sunday morning...

The only certain thing ahead of us was a 5 hour road trip to a town we'd never heard of (and didn't know how to pronounce), and to knock on the door of a friend of a friend, who we'd never met. Tune in next week to find out where and who.

THANKS FOR READING ABOUT THE (MIS)-ADVENTURES OF LENNY AND JOE!
much more to come (man are we behind).


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

morning coffee... morning coffee...
morning coffee...

a necessity at the early start of a long day
...the bathroom...the bathroom
...the bathroom

mmmmm compost
Li's homeLi's home
Li's home

our wonderful german-turned-kiwi friend who lived in the back yard.
the cabinthe cabin
the cabin

and the car!
look at all that organic garlic!look at all that organic garlic!
look at all that organic garlic!

some one with a lot of skills must have bundled and hung those... give you two guesses who
shopshop
shop

yumm
chukschuks
chuks

or chickens, for all the americans...
 onions... onions...
onions...

hand harvested by some hard-working americans
a portion of the fence we builta portion of the fence we built
a portion of the fence we built

a photo of it in the middle of the process, which took days and resulted in a rabbit PROOF garden (and some pretty severe blisters on the hands).
derek's homederek's home
derek's home

tight indoor space, lovely yard!
the bean housethe bean house
the bean house

green beans galore
corncorn
corn

knee high by the 4th of... January?
some beautiful stones from the pathsome beautiful stones from the path
some beautiful stones from the path

and some hard working farm hands
walking home after a long day!walking home after a long day!
walking home after a long day!

and looking forward to a cold beer!
Gum TreesGum Trees
Gum Trees

what a beautiful blue sky, huh?


31st January 2010

Kerikeri
Yahoo!!!! more first hand info....hope the blisters have healed and you're still basking in the love you felt there...xoxoxox

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb