Week 2 and a bit


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Bay of Islands » Kerikeri
April 20th 2008
Published: April 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Before the excitorBefore the excitorBefore the excitor

in our wet weather gear!
Week 2

Well we left it last week with our arrival in Kerikeri. Our first job was to find work, however the fruit was lacking sugar so the normal seasonal work associated with the fruit (picking, packhouse work etc.) was not available. So we took things easy for a couple of days whilst watching the torrential rain - it gets pretty bad here the weather is referred to as sub-tropical so generally when it rains, it rains and rains and rains!

Anyway on Sunday I (Pru) got offered half a days waitressing and decided to take up the challenge - I have never waitressed before and always consicer it was probably not a job for me! Anyway I went out to work whilst Ian played 'Van husband' and it wasn't too bad but was knackering but I survived! Then when we got back we got told the maderins were finally ready for picking and there was work starting the next day. The weather was so bad it was delayed by a day and started on Wednesday. It was still raining bad but we braved the weather (Ian better than me!) and picked maderins! We then went back for the next couple of days luckily under sunner and drier conditions but decided there was no money in it at present (way less than minimum wage) so quit at lunchtime on Friday. We may pick again when fruit improves, and when that happens so does the money! However when we got back to our backpackers, they said there was a weeks work next week at another orchard making Kiwi boxes so we have taken up the challenge!

Over the weekend, we decided to do some touristy bits. On Saturday we went on the 'Excitor boat' This is a speed boat that takes you round the Bay of Islands. There are 144 islands in the bay, and a couple of famous points e.g. see hole in the rock picture. We were meant to do this last time we were here 2 years back but it got cancelled due to bad weather. It was good fun but seems were not rough enough for us. See if you can spot us in the boat picture! Also whilst on the boat trip we stop by a pod of dolphins who put on a bit of a display for us. Not a normal feature of the trip - so a bit of a bonus!

That evening we went over to our bbq area where there are some seats and tables, bbqs, a log fire, and a sound system. We meet a few other travellers had a couple of drinks and a got to know everyone.

The next day - Sunday we headed of to Waitangi and the Treaty House. This is where the Maori signed a treaty with the english which afforded them protection from the Soverign, and the development of New Zealand. One of the most important days in New Zealand history. On this site is was signed by the first 47 tribes signed the treaty. There is a house where the the british commissioner lived, an amazing building of carvings and weaving which has no name (this is significant because it shows it does not belong to a tribe and that New Zealand is as they say 'one people') After this we went to Haruru Falls which is where we kayak last time and saw it from a different perspective (from the top rather than in it!).

Tomorrow we start our Kiwi box making so will update next weekend!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

flag poleflag pole
flag pole

The spot the first 47 tribes signed the treaty


7th May 2008

Hello
Hey Pru and Ian, you seem to be having fun!! have you got any pics of the van? Hope kiwi box making goes well. hugs x

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 45; dbt: 0.082s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb