A few hours in Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
January 27th 2014
Published: June 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -36.8474, 174.766

After our successful fishing trip in Bay of Islands and the resulting bbq we high-tailed it the 3 hours south to Auckland to give it the once over and celebrate Jess's birthday. Having checked into our hotel we walked down by the harbour to find the Ortolana restaurant that had been selected as the venue for the birthday dinner, and very good it was too.

Next morning we spent more time around the harbour with Liz, in particular, salivating at the sight of all the wonderful ex- Americas Cup yachts and other sailing wonders and all of us just a bit appalled at all the extravagant displays of wealth tied up in the enormous private cruisers - though one poor saddo had resorted to having his helicopter sponsored by a Tequila company. And of course there were the others who had splashed a mere million or so and ended up the poor kids on the block.

Beautiful sunshine though, and a glorious setting.

Leaving the city we visited Mount Eden - the summit of an ancient volcano (the crater a Maori sacred site - with the most incredible city view.

And so to Rotorua for some sulphur.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.146s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb