We are on the move in New Zealand!


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
March 1st 2017
Saved: August 31st 2019
Edit Blog Post

A wee bit of history. In the early 1300's, the Polynesians sailed here. NZ was named by a Dutch explorer in 1672, and became a British colony in 1840, and an independent 107 years later. NZ still has the largest population of Pacific Islanders in the world. Total population of these islands is 4.5 million. My first impression is that it reminds me of Hawaii, and British Columbia.

Unable to rent a car until tomorrow, we obtain train passes and chug along to the suburbs. On the way I chat with three medical students from Holland that are here studying medical law. One member is obtaining a medical degree and a law degree. Upon our return, a deluge of rain begins. Perfect timing.

The north island has an enormous diversity of ethnicity. It is expensive in Auckland, and an average home is $970,000 and $712,000 for an apartment. Interestingly, there has been a 25% increase in Asians moving here.

Dollar wise the money is about equal to Canadian dollars, and the bills look quite similar to ours. Their coffee, chocolate, and purple potatoes called kumra are excellent. Toast and eggs set us back $24. Everywhere you go, there is a cacophony of cicadas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb