Day 16 (26 July) Shabbat in Auckland


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
July 26th 2014
Published: July 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We were up bright and early to grab some fruit and coffee before setting out to Greys Avenue for shul. The service at Auckland Hebrew Congregation began at 9.15 am and we managed to arrive at 9 am. Yes we were quite shocked too!

After the service and chatting with the locals we went downstairs to the Rabbi's flat for lunch. The Altschuls use this apartment for Shabbat and festivals as they live in a suburb too far from the shul. It is very cosy and the rebbitzin (oops not her preferred moniker) is so welcoming and warm. She knows all the female congregants and greeted each one warmly before beginning her own prayers. We had a lovely lunch and along with the Meltzers there was another family from Israel. He is a sofer (scribe) and apparently produces the most amazing Megillat Esther. This is a scroll containing the story of Esther which is read on Purim. The Altschuls come from Copenhagen Denmark and so the conversation was in English, Ivrit and Danish.

The time flew by. We chatted and chatted and before we realised it, it was the end of Shabbat. We were lucky to get a lift back from Stephen who spends lots of time with the Altschuls and who was with us for dinner last night as well.

When we got back to the hotel we spoke with Caroline and it was agreed to meet the girls at the vegan restaurant we had been to last week. Caroline brought the Rumikub game as she was coming back to our hotel to play. She came back but we ended up talking, and talking. We did get as far as taking the racks out of the box. Don drove her back to her flat at about midnight. All in all a peaceful and restful but also interesting and enjoyable day.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1695s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb