Day 4 (14 July) Auckland at last


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
July 14th 2014
Published: July 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

CarolineCarolineCaroline

"My mother made me take this selfie."
We arrived at AKL airport, collected our bags, a SIM card and a car all within 40 minutes. Not bad considering that the sniffer dogs were walking over all the suitcases on the carousel, following passengers out of the terminal and then all suitcases were x-rayed. They are looking for illicit food and wooden souvenirs. New Zealand is fastidious about preserving its wild life and its natural habitat.

We drove through the rain to our hotel in down town Auckland. We are not staying in the absolute centre but only a motion away (Paul Simon fans will recognise the pun). Our room is an apartment with a small kitchen, lounge/dining area and bedroom. Of course if everything went smoothly we would have nothing to write about. So we got all excited at being able to shower after our overnight flight only to find no water. There was a problem in the hotel and maintenance were working on it!

After unpacking, showering and having a fiesta we took a walk and had a cup of tea and the decided to surprise Caroline. We had agreed to meet her at 7.30 pm as she was at university all day. We walked up hill and down dale (and up again etc) and arrived on her doorstep. It was great seeing her and catching up after five whole months. Who but a mother counts the time.

The girls took us to a vegan Thai restaurant - they guided and we paid 😊 To get to this place one walked up an almost vertical hill; it was cruel on the legs. We left them at about 9pm and walked back to the hotel and fell into bed!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0968s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb