Sunday 13th March- On the Road


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
March 12th 2011
Published: March 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This was the day that we picked up our camper van, which would be our home for the next three weeks as we explored the remainder of the North Island and the South Island.
We got up around 07:00 and start to pack. We had breakfast and then headed out to the supermarket to pick up some supplies for the camper van.

We then headed out to the Kai depot at Albany where we will pick up the van. It took about an hour, with all the terms and conditions being explained, and instructions on how to use the GPS. Then on to the van and how to empty the loo, how to dispose of the waste, fill up with fresh water etc.etc. A lot to take in but I will get the hang off it once we take off.
When everything is signed up, I tentatively followed Gary back to his place where we have a final cup of tea, and then load up the groceries and luggage into the van. Then a tearful farewell and we set off south down the SH 1 heading for Coramandel.

Coramandel is a peninsula pointing north. So we initially head south and then east before heading north along the peninsula along winding roads with the sea on our left and the hills on our right. Progress is slow in the van on these roads. We stop for coffee/beer at Waiomu. As we get towards the end and turn east we start to climb and there is beautiful scenery at every turn. We pass through Coramandel Town, and arrive at the site on Colville Road later than planned. We eat and I went to catch the sunset over Long Bay, where the tide is out and it is essentially a mud flat.
We turn-in and spend some time trying to figure out where all the cushions should fit to form the bed. It is quite comfortable once we have finished and we both have good nights sleep.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb