Aotearoa


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
March 1st 2006
Published: May 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Arriving in New Zealand, North Island, Auckland we surely had a good plan. Three weeks is not much for two big islands. Thus, we had a little car, we had brought our tent from the working time near Melbourne, and first thing we did was to drive to "Foodtown" and "Warehouse" to stock up with eatables and buy a small stove.
Our first experience with the locals (Kiwis, as they are called in NZ in contrast to Ozzies in Australia) was really good. In "Foodtown" a woman from Auckland gave us her shopping discount card when we asked her about the two different prices stated for most products. She said we could post it back to her before we leave NZ and she could share the card of her husband. So we enjoyed cheep shopping!
Now we were ready to go. Our plan was to just drive around and sleep whereever it's possible or we like it. On the first evening this was difficult, it was dark soon and we just drove up somewhere into the countryside to stop and camp at a dead-end road.
So we were a little suprised in the morning when some heavy road construction machinery rumbled past our tent, stoped quite next to us and some workers started discussing to tear something down. When we peared out of our tent we first saw the scene we had placed ourselfs into: We had camped near a small wooden bridge that was heavily damaged by a car burning on top of it. But the guy that had come to tear it down didn't care too much about us and we cleared out.
Our first destination was 'Bay of Islands' some beautiful part of the coastline in the north.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb