Day 239-241: Turangi to Auckland, New Zealand


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
September 24th 2009
Published: September 25th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Turangi to Auckland


Tuesday, September 22nd


After a close encounter of the parrot kind we set off for Taupo. The WoF (Warranty of Fitness) on our van was about to expire, making the van un-roadworthy, so Escape asked us to have it assessed before they got fined. Once in Taupo we found a place that could do the test, but the van failed because of a cracked tail-light casing (it was like that when we got it, promise!) and they also required a TSL (Transit Service License) number which Escape couldn't give us right away.

Ferdi got angry so Talita took over. A few phone calls later (and some friendly local help) we got a new tail-light from Toyota (Ouch!!! Those genuine parts are worth their weight in gold. Luckily it wasn't for our account!). In the meantime Escape found the TSL number so Ferdi installed the new tail-light and we took the van back to be re-assessed. This time it passed the test. For our troubles Escape gave us three days rental discount. Not bad for a morning's work!

We had lunch next to the Waikato River in the first free camping spot we've come across. It was raining a little so after lunch we visited The Honey Hive where we enjoyed free Mead (honey wine) and honey tasting. We bought a bottle of red honey wine then drove to Huka Falls. The sun was out so we visited both sides of the falls. The water is light blue and amazingly beautiful. It rushes fast and deep (between 7m and 9m) through this funnel, creating dangerous undertows. You wouldn't want to fall in there! They might never find your body!

After the falls we drove back to Taupo. Because of bad connections we hadn't been able to upload a blog for the last week. We had everything prepared so when we got a good signal near town we stopped to finish the upload. It was at a scenic lookout spot so we got the paranoid evil eye from a couple of pot-heads. They must've worried that we're undercover cops or something.

With that done we drove into town, got a few more supplies, then drove back to the free camping spot. We picked a parking spot and made hot chocolate. Talita read while Ferdi learned to play a new song on the guitar. When it got dark we made dinner and spent the rest of the evening finishing our books.

Today's highlights:
1. Getting the WoF done.
2. Finding a free camping spot.
3. Getting some red honey wine.
4. Visiting Huka Falls.

Thought for the day:
It's sad how most of us only feel successful and happy when we surround ourselves with stuff. There are people who own almost nothing and are free, while we are slaves to our jobs just so we can get more stuff which we think will make us happy. How does one change that mindset?


Wednesday, September 23rd


It was raining softly when we woke and didn't look like it'd clear up for a while. We wanted to spend the day kayaking on the lake, but with the rain we decided to move on.

Our first thought was to stay over in Rotorua. The whole Taupo/Rotorua area is filled with volcanic activity. There are geysers, bubbling mud, hot pools and steaming lakes and rivers all over the place. We stopped at the Wai-o-tapu Thermal area to see the Lady Knox Geyser erupt. We paid our entrance fee ($30) and rushed to see the 10:15 eruption. Knowing nothing about geysers
Powerful streamPowerful streamPowerful stream

Huka Falls
we assumed it was a natural event. We were wrong. The place was packed with tourists (this place must make a killing) and a guy dropped soap into the opening. A few moments later it starts bubbling over and a minute or two later it erupted, spraying water about 7m into the air. We weren’t very impressed.

We just laughed at how gullible we are and drove on to Rotorua. Konrad had said that this place stinks and he was right. The whole place smells strongly of sulphur and it made us a little nauseous. Any thought of staying here went out the window as the smell came in, so we drove on to Papamoa Beach on the east coast.

As we drove we noticed bigger than normal hedges protecting what looked like vineyards. These turned out to be kiwi orchards. We stopped at a kiwi centre and walked into a giant kiwi, had a quick walk through the centre and continued on. We arrived in Papamoa Beach and had lunch by the beach.

It was still raining softly so we found a camping spot with a sea view and settled in for a lazy afternoon playing guitar, typing emails and hunting for a van on TradeMe.

Today's highlights:
1. Great sea view camping spot.
2. Hunting for a van on TradeMe.

Thursday, September 24th


It was still raining when we woke. We had wanted to stay another night somewhere in this area, but with this weather it wouldn't be any fun. We decided to head back to Auckland.

We had lunch next to the road and after about four hours driving arrived back at the Smit place in Browns Bay. We spent the afternoon playing with Keira and hunting for a van on TradeMe. We grabbed pizza for dinner and just enjoyed lazing in front of the TV.

Today's highlights:
1. Seeing the Smits again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Lady Knox GeyserLady Knox Geyser
Lady Knox Geyser

Wai-o-tapu
Look at her go!Look at her go!
Look at her go!

Wai-o-tapu


28th September 2009

Kids?
Hi daar maters, Julle was vinnig met kinders... geluk met julle dogtertjie. sy het jou neus Talita....he, he.

Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 158; dbt: 0.2033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb