Road Trip !!


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
January 20th 2005
Published: January 20th 2005
Edit Blog Post

FrankFrankFrank

that's his name
We were up early today for our breakfast in the hostel, $7 for all you can eat cereal, fruit, toast and that, we had a good skelp at it then out to the Tourist Info for advice on cars V buses.

To cut a two hour chat, and a long story short we've rented a Toyota Sprinter, (1999), 1600 AUTOMATIC for 29 days starting at 10am tomorrow, about 30 hours from now!!

I've never driven an automatic but I'm sure it'll be straight forward, they drive on the same side of the road from us and the only difference I can see is that you give way infront of you if the car is turning right. What I mean is you're at a traffic light and it goes green, there's a car coming towards you but turning right accross your path, back home I'd have right of way then he would turn when the coast is clear but here anyone turning towards you has right of way over people going straight on, should be a giggle.

It was $1200 for our bus passes and the car cost $800 for the month so with about $400 petrol and $450
Andrew Andrew Andrew

and Frank
for the ferry it's only costing us an extra 170 pounds for the freedom of having a car for that time, really excited about it as I've never driven abroad before or on a ferry, Fiona's looking forward to it too so hopefully she'll do her fair share of driving, the insurance excess is $1500 so there's no danger we can afford an accident.

It's about 4pm now and we're in an internet cafe booking the ferry and checking on our accomodation for the rest of the month, we're heading up North to Paihai in the Bay of Islands tomorrow, a 4 hour drive up the East coast. We're staying there for 3 nights then back down to Auckland for a couple more nights before heading South to Rotoroua via Waitomo and the Glow Worm caves.

We're up in the North Side of the city just now, Parnell, and it's really nice, loads of cafe's and bars and that, really trendy, I just had the best value food ever. I got a plate of rice (two kinds) topped with meatballs, Chicken Curry and Chilli Con Carne and a big plate of salad for $6, student special, thats about
Fiona Fiona Fiona

and Frank
2.30 pounds, amazing, it was heaps too, Fiona didn't care much for her 'designer' sandwich and helped me finish the feast, what a treat, I love food I do.

We're away to head down to Waitemata Harbour for a wander then Fiona wants to look into the Victoria Park market, we're loving New Zealand and can't wait to start out mad mental road trip tomorrow.

Take it easy and I'll add some photo's to this soon, I promise, Kia-Ora.

Advertisement



24th January 2005

NZ and Cars.
Good idea renting a car - I bought one for $1400 (nz$) - everything was going well for most of the North Island - and then it blew up - literally, engine, metal, smoke, spread out across the road. Cost me a fair bit in the end. Least with a rental car it's a fixed cost and no surprises (I hope). Good luck on your road trip - NZ is an awsome place - hope you both like tramping!

Tot: 0.294s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 18; qc: 84; dbt: 0.0983s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb