Anzac Day


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
April 25th 2007
Published: April 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

View from BayView from BayView from Bay

View from a bay (name forgotten) out over a volcanic island in Auckland Bay
An unusual day. We arose in time to be picked up at 5:15am by Scott's Dad. He, Scott, Michelle, Jen, Scott's auntie Marie and myself attended the dawn service for Anzac Day at the war memorial in Papakura. It was astonishing to see the numbers of people who attend - I'd estimate about 500. It was very moving - the only slightly strange thing was the apalling comic singing of the vicar who led the ceremony. It was also bizarre to hear the national anthem played. It was lovely to hear unusual birds calling as dawn broke. Afterwards we were treated to a lavish breakfast at Aunt Marie's house. Later in the morning Scott and Michelle gave us a tour of their 'estate'. They are having a new house built adjacent to the one they are living in. (That one is actually Scott's brothers). They showed us the plot. The views over the valley will be georgous. Later Michelle went off to work and Scott took us on a sighseeing tour We went first to 'One tree hill' which overlooks Auckland city. Then we went into town - having a good lunch at a restaurant where Scott used to work and then seeing a liner moored at the quayside. Then we had some really good beer in an 'English' style pub which has an on-site microbrewery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb