Finally we head to the beach...Waitakere Ranges


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Waitakere Ranges
January 4th 2010
Published: January 5th 2010
Edit Blog Post

So seriously come all the way to New Zealand at first opportunity head to the beach! I mean it is the stuff you see on TV right. How many programmes have I watched of families from the UK wanting to come to NZ and seeing them on these beautiful beaches never imagining I could one day be there...well here I am!

We wake up relatively early and pack our version of a picnic and off we go....

Our first stop is the Arataki Visitor Centre for a quick introduction to the park, starting with a man made huge wooden photo-frame with an amazing view in the background, well that is the best way I can describe it anyway. It was interesting to get a bit of history of the area and there were some small walks but we did not do any of them. They had a small walking platform with amazing views of the area and of course we took a lot of pictures before quickly scurrying on our way eager to get to the beach.

Our next stop was Karekare. You have to cross a little stream to access the beach hiding a short walk away
The Amazing VistaThe Amazing VistaThe Amazing Vista

Arataki Visitor Centre
behind giant sand dunes. My husband took his shoes off straight away but then had to run to the water as the sand was very hot. Once you get down to the beach the expanse is just breathtaking, especially for me who is not used to the breadth and size of such large beaches. The water was rough and the sound of the waves added to it's allure. We went for a lovely walk along the beach, at times kind of feeling like the only people in the world. There were these huge jellyfish stuck in the sand and little tiny crabs crossing your path. We eventually dragged ourselves back to the carpark and walked further along the road to find the waterfall. We were the only one's there and sat on the bench directly in front of the waterfall and lost ourselves in time. It was tempting to drag all of our clothes off and jump in for a swim which we somehow just managed to resist!

After Karekare we headed to the infamous Piha for it's dangerous water's breaking bones and literally washing people away. Honest...You can even get the DVD. You get a great view from
Crossing the streamCrossing the streamCrossing the stream

Karekare beach
the top of the hill of the whole beach split in two by the giant Lion Rock. Not yet officially summer the beach was nice and quiet and we happily found our spot. Yet another great expanse of space of beach and yes the water looked a bit rough dotted with surfers doing their thing. The sun was not yet hot enough for me to venture into the water and I also didn't fancy a staring role in the Piha beach programme.

Unfortunately every beach day has to come to an end


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.238s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.1458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb