Drag races


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Ponsonby
January 30th 2011
Published: February 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: drag races 25 secs
2: rocketman 12 secs
Pete came and picked me up bright and early to get to the drag races. We had to drive an hour out of Auckland to a place called Meremere where the races were being held at a race track. There were tons of cars there already when we got there at 9:30am. Parked the car and headed over to the track. We stood near the starting point where the cars do 10-15 seconds of burnouts to warm up their tires so they stick to the road better. Then the 2 cars line up side by side and wait for the green light and race down the track. It was really cool to see. Some of the cars were really old but you could tell they have new souped up motors in them.

Some cars were top end ones and were really pretty. Some of the cars were so loud you had to plug your ears when they started. Two of Pete's friends had their cars in the races and we talked to them when they weren't racing. They were saying the track is a bit slippery. There was a couple of accidents. One car just started sliding around and hit the concrete. No one was hurt but a couple of cars might have been written off. While the track is being cleared they have a little spot just for burnouts. Burnouts are when a cars tires are spinning but it's not moving very fast. It creates a lot of smoke and burnt rubber smells. It also really wrecks your tires. Fun to watch though. They had a guy from the USA called "Rocketman" who strapped a rocket on his back and he flew in the air down the track. That was really cool!

We spent the whole day there and the sun came out for a bit and I got a wee bit sunburnt. But all in all it was a fun day and goo to go with a car guy so he can explain what was going on to me haha.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.332s; Tpl: 0.048s; cc: 13; qc: 74; dbt: 0.1079s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb