NZ - The final week


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Parnell
March 5th 2012
Published: March 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Monday 27th February 7.075.4 Overcast Sky - 19c

Had a good night’s sleep last night, probably due to the exertions of Sand boarding on the dunes yesterday. Not too many aches and pains though which is surprising. Anyway up in good time and had breakfast of toast and more toast. Supplies are getting very low now and we need to find a supermarket or may have to take to the hills in search of some wild Pig or Sheep with which to fill the larder.

We left Whatawhiwhi behind and headed SE towards the Bay of Islands and another camp site. I wanted to keep the trip as short as possible today as i have just about had enough of driving. With in mind we only travelled for about an hour and a half before we stopped for lunch at Matauri Bay situated on the scenic route around the Mahinepua Peninsula. Laying just of the coast here is the wreck of the Rainbow Warrior which was attacked and sunk within Auckland Harbour by the French just before the vessel was due to sail and protest at the French Nuclear test site in the Pacific. The hull of the vessel was towed to its final resting place and is now a very popular dive site.

Another hour after lunch and we found ourselves in Kerkeri, a small town within the Bay of Islands where we pitched the tent at another Top 10 site.

Most importantly on the way into town we had found a New World Supermarket and $150 later we were fully stocked with Wine, Beer and a little food!

We had a short drive out around the area during the latter part of the afternoon and visited Opito Bay. This area is very affluent with some beautiful houses overlooking the many Bays and small inlets with the owners yachts moored at the exclusive Opito Cruising Club. All out of my league i’m afraid.

We also visited, in the rain, the Stone Store which is reputed to be NZs oldest stone building, wow. It was a nice area though and we enjoyed a walk around.

Quite a wet evening so we spent time cooking supper and a few games of Chequers which Sue is now becoming accomplished at.

Tuesday 28 February 7.262.0 14C Sunny

A sunny start to the day and nice to see the rain gone although the tent is pretty wet outside and a little damp inside. We packed up surrounded by the local expectant Ducks in search of a breakfast leftover. Due to our soft side they were rewarded with a bread roll to share.

No real destination today so we headed off along the route 10 in a South direction. After about 20 kl we found a sign to Waitangi, this is the place where the Waitangi Treaty was signed all those years ago. Along the way Sue wanted to call in to Harruru Falls, and as the name suggests to look at the waterfall. It was ok, not as impressive as some in Thailand we saw though. Waitangi was also ok, the Treaty House was very expensive to look around with a lot of add on costs which somewhat put us off. We had already viewed a lot of the info at the Museum in Wellington so we didn’t feel we were missing out.

From here we had to cross the estuary via another small car ferry which we did ending up near the town of Russell. Here we chose to turn the other way and look for a nice beach to fish off then head back to Russell to stay the night. Unfortunately it did not work out that way. We travelled about 25 / 30 kl with no beach’s in site and eventually stopped for a break at Rawhiti, a little community down a long unmade road allegedly with a camp site which we couldn’t find. We stayed for a couple of hours chilling out and enjoying the sun before deciding not to head back to Russell but to push on a little further stopping if we see a camping sign. Would you believe only two minutes down the road we came across two nice beaches, just our luck? The moral is to always check just around the corner.

We found a sign shortly after and followed the route down to another beach and came across a camp site. It looked all ok so we booked in and set up. Only complaint so far is the Sand Flies are biting my ankles and not Sue’s this time. Just as we get the tent up the dark clouds roll in and dump more rain on us. In between showers we venture out for a walk along the beach and out onto the rocks where my faithful jangles, flip flops finally give up the ghost.

Wednesday 29th February

More rain overnight leaves the tent a little damp outside and in. Also wake up with a dodgy back so i’m hobbling around somewhat. We leave site and head off further along the coast heading for the Top Ten site in Whangarei. On the way we stop for a couple of hours at Matapouri Beach for a spot of fishing, not very successful though this time. Stopping at the Top Ten was a good decision as it gave us the chance to give the car a muck out before handing it back on Sunday and also the decision to have a Chalet was good as it rained again!. The Chalet although basic was really good and comfortable and great value for £30.00.

Thursday 1st March

A milestone today, only one month left of our travels. Not to disappointed as we have packed so much into our journey so far the time has actually gone slowly.

Anyway today we are travelling down to Auckland to meet up with Terry, Polly and the boys at their new home in the suburb of Parnell very close to the water front.

The drive down was only 165 kl but the road was slow due to the logging trucks. We made it into the city in the early afternoon and found the house easily and were surprised how close to the city centre it was. We spent the afternoon chatting and walking down to the city centre for a look round then playing a bit of footy in the nearby park with the boys.

No need to pitch the tent tonight as we have a mattress on the living room floor, seems very strange though not to be in the surroundings of our little tent.

Friday 2 March

Up at eight this morning after a restless night. Just didn’t seem right to sleep under a tiled roof after two months under canvass.

After breakfast i accompnied the boys down to the local skate park and watched them go through their moves on the half pipe. We met up with the others in the Surf shop next door for a look around before Sue and i departed for our own look around the area and the city.

Highlights of the day included a visit to the Anglican Cathedral, a fine modern building with some terrific stained glass windows. Next door was another Church, completely built out of Kauri timber and some years ago the whole building was jacked up and moved across the road in one whole section, a remarkable achievement. Not sure why they did this but I guess it’s a bit like the chicken wanting to get to the other side!

After these visits we made our way through a central park via the Winter gardens then down into the city centre. Here we took the lift up the Auckland Tower to take in the panoramic views of the City, Harbour and Islands. Really quite spectacular and very much the city of sails judging by the amount of yachts out sailing. We also watched in amazement at the people who were jumping off the tower via the Sky jump wire. This is similar to a bungee jump but slightly more controlled, still very scary though. The other adrenalin sport you can do is walk around the outside of the observation platform while clipped on to a safety wire; again you have to be slightly mad to want to do this.

Once down the tower we made our way down to the water side and the super yacht marina. Now this was impressive with some beautiful craft on display. Our visit here also coincided with happy hour at a local bar on the quay so a swift beer was had before taking the inner route bus back to Parnell and the house.

The evening was spent playing games with the boys and enjoying a drop of red wine.

Saturday 3 March

The morning today was spent at the local car sales looking for a suitable vehicle for the Jones family then afterwards making a visit to Auckland Zoo with Sue, Polly and Rohen. The Zoo trip was very good and lasted up to closing time a 17.00.

Back at the house Sue and i gave the car a quick muck out before returning it tomorrow then spent the evening chilling out with more beer and wine plus a late game of footy in the gaden with the boys.

Sunday 4 March

Left the Jones household at 08.00 this morning due to a change in our flight time, now leaving at 11.00 and not 12.35. Only a 20 min journey and handed in our gallant little Ford Focus and were dropped of at the International Terminal.

As i write this we are about to board our flight to Nadi, Fiji so a big thank you to NZ and everyone we have met along the way for having us and we look forward to returning at some point soon.

For us now, the next adventure begins..............................


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.052s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb