Seven Months Down, Two To Go...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Newmarket
December 7th 2006
Published: December 7th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hello everybody! We can't believe another month has gone by! We hope you are ready for this month's killer questions. Goodluck with the following;
1. Apart from the usual types of meat (beef, pork, lamb& chicken) what other type of meat have we eaten during our New Zealand trip?
2. On our current homestay we have to cook for ourselves. How many big sauages have we eaten in total on this homestay?

We have spent many days now enjoying Auckland. Auckland is New Zealand's biggest city with a 'whopping' 1 million people living here!?! It is great only having to work 3 hours a day and being able to cook our own food. We are really enjoying our beans and sausages. The motel has a big swimming pool too but we haven't been brave enough yet to go in as it is not hot enough yet.
Since writing last, we decided to invest in a one day bus pass to save our legs walking a good 1 and a half hours to the city. We therefore managed to squeeze a lot into the day. We took a nice bus ride along the coastline and enjoyed great views of a nearby island/volcano, Mt. Rangitoto. We then took the bus along the coast in the other direction to a really beautiful beach with even better views of the volcano. Whilst we were there, there was a big life guard competetion where people had to swim and run all over the place for a cash prize. It was very exciting!
Although we had a lazy day the next day, we got another bus pass the following day and rushed around again. Despite it raining, we had a great time in the art gallery and some supermarkets. We also went to the botanical gardens in the big glasshouses which was lovely.
The following day was the 1st day of Summer and the weather was really nice and hot. We walked up One Tree Hill (an extinct volcano) and there were tremendous views of the whole city and harbour. A lot of our clothes are falling apart but today my jeans were definitely on their last legs. No matter how much dental floss I use to sew up the many holes they have, more holes appear! I will therefore have to start wearing shorts!!! On the lines of sewing, the side zip to our backpack broke, whilst open, in Queenstown. So I sewed up the bag with dental floss from head to toe and so far so good. We just hope it can last to the end of the trip.
We also had day trips to the local shopping area, to a local beach and a nearby park which has been great.
Yesterday we got a bus pass and we went to another bigger Botanical Gardens which was beautiful and we had a great trip over the harbour on the ferry to Davenport at sunset.

We originally planned to go to Fiji today but because of the coup at the moment we have decided to delay the flight for a few days to give it a chance for the hype to die down a bit.

We are definitely tempted to work for you Janet and Keith for wine gums and cheese in return!
We are also glad you liked the Birthday Card Grannie!



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



7th December 2006

Wow the legs appear!!
Answers to questions Bobbies 1. Kangeroo and/or Crocodile (Dave they will be so easy to feed when they get back!) and (2) 24 sausages. You can take your backpack to a tailors to see if they will stitch it up for you - it won;t cost much - that's what we did when our holdall broke. So you have painting skills, cooking skills, sewing skills, cleaning skills - I think we must have got onto somebody elses Blog?? Look forward to having you clean our house as promised. Soon be your birthday Bobbie - what are you doing for it? Love J and K (and little S) x
7th December 2006

On the way back!!
Leaving New Zealand - that means you are now getting nearer home for the first time - I'd better wash up your dirty plates and change your sheets!! What different meat - aaah, is that asparagus? As forthe sausages I'm going for two dozen. Nice to see pics of you two for a change - I was beginning to forget what you look like. Shame about the jeans and bag - you can get new ones with all the birthday and Christmas money that will no doubt be flooding in Happy 23rd Do Do. Be careful in fighting Fiji !!
11th December 2006

mmm, sausages...
I'm going for 1) Human flesh. All those Hannibal Lecter jokes in the comments made you hungry so you murdered the host who was reading your diary and ate her liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti, thhhhhtthhhhtthhhh. But I imagine it was full of gristle so you're probably regretting using that dental floss as stitching. 2) It's a trick question, you actually bought one really long sausage and you've been carving bits off it each day. Happy birthday this week, Bobby.
12th December 2006

happy birthday
Figured you are ahead in time - so it must be your birthday now. Happy Birthday Eldest Bobbie! Have a great day. Off to Nanny and Grandad's Christmas party this afternoon. Love the favourite ones xxxx
13th December 2006

Happy Birthday
hey i finally found some free time from the crazy world of uni - happy birthday bobby - hope u have great day, look like having loads of fun out there in new zealand , well off to do more revision for Jan exams - speak to u soon !!!
15th December 2006

Uncle Ken's present
Wow Bobbies - sounds like Uncle Ken has got you a Car for your birthday!! (Huge - might go rusty). What a generous Uncle Ken.

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0883s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb