Sweet as bro! Kiwi style...


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland » Central
December 7th 2010
Published: August 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

First off I have to give credit to Thai Airways who flew us thus far. The service was excellent, as was the food and entertainment and it was without a doubt the best airline and flight we have flown. This made our transition into New Zealand all that easier after a refreshing and relaxing flight. We touched down in Auckland with high hopes and lots of enthusiasm for what lay ahead. After a good first night sleep we were up and out to explore central Auckland. We were keen to get the boring stuff out of the way so after a morning of buying sim cards, opening bank accounts and applying for tax codes we went in search of some lunch. It was quite an odd feeling wandering around here as doesn't look all that different from the UK except you don't recognize anything. Before coming to NZ a lot of people said that it was very 'set back' in time and although I cant exactly describe why, it is just that. I think it has to do with their style of branding and advertising, its very old fashioned.
Anyways Auckland City Centre is just that, pretty much like any other city centre, lots of shops and cafes and people in power suits.
In search of something a little more 'kiwi' we spent the next few days exploring the suburbs of Auckland. We jumped on a guided tour bus the next day and it took us to the Auckland Harbour Bridge where we witnessed much braver people bungee jump off it. The suburbs were absolutely beautiful, we walked to the top of Mount Eden and Mount Victoria which both gave incredible views all around the greater Auckland area. We had a great day out and lunch in the harbour area of Devonport but by far our favourite place was Ponsonby with its great cafes, resturants and bars.
Although we werent deeply in love with Auckland itself, the mix and scenery from the suburbs definately sealed the deal for us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb