Noumea, New Caledonia


Advertisement
New Caledonia's flag
Oceania » New Caledonia » South Province » Noumea
February 3rd 2010
Published: February 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our Glass-bottom BoatOur Glass-bottom BoatOur Glass-bottom Boat

We are about to board our glass-bottom boat ride to Duck Island.
New Caledonia was discovered by Captain James Cook in 1774, and though he dropped anchor and named the island after a part of Scotland, he never claimed it for his sovereign. Instead, it was left to the French who officially annexed New Caledonia in 1853, when a penal colony was set up here. Convict labor was instrumental in helping to erect many of the colonial-style buildings, and the convicts continued to toil on the island until the penitentiary was closed in 1897. By the end of the 19th century, the French realized that the real worth of the island was in the large reserves of cobalt, copper, nickel, chrome and manganese. The minerals are near the surface and are easy to extract, and mining is still the backbone of the economy.

During World War II, thousands of American servicemen transited through the islands. These soldiers gave a great lift to consumerism, built the airport, and introduced, among other things, the ubiquitous Jeep. It was worth about $10 at the time but now changes hands for thousands. New Caledonia, which has the largest coral lagoon in the world, with its blend of French and Melanesian cultures is now one of the most popular holiday destinations in the South Pacific and a particular favorite of the French. An interesting non-custom of tipping is strictly prohibited …and they mean it.

We arrived in Noumea this morning and decided to start the day by walking around the city center for a while after breakfast. We were somewhat surprised…the stores didn’t really have much to offer and they all seemed to buy from the same vendors, or at least the same quality. We did go over to the market area, but they were in the process of closing up. So, we walked back to the ship and had a quick lunch.

Our first excursion today, Glass-bottom Boat at Duck Island met at 12:30. We took the transport over to Fun Beach, which was partially around the island into an area of 180-degree difference from where the ship was docked. This part of the island was definitely the high-end, classy tourist area. It’s where we boarded the glass-bottom boat. It was pretty windy and the waves were choppy. We went slowly as the water was pretty shallow, which allowed us to see the vast array of different types of coral. Duck Island is a
Duck IslandDuck IslandDuck Island

Duck Island is a beautiful daily resort spot where people can take their boat to or be ferried to and enjoy the amenities of the beach, snorkeling, wind surfing or just hanging out on a beach chair. Lots of wind surfers today...going fast because of the winds.
mini-resort where people are ferried to and from for the day and enjoy snorkeling, wind surfing and a variety of water sports. As our captain and guide circled the island, we started seeing more and larger fish. And then, we stopped near a different shaped buoy and the captain went into and barrel that he had covered in the bow and pulled out a handful of French bread. He started breaking off pieces and throwing it in the water. The water started to boil with the fish coming up to feed on the bread. He then began passing out hunks of bread to us and said to start feeding the fish. WOW…they just started coming to the surface in mass…all kinds of them. So, we stayed there for about 20 minutes getting the fish to virtually eat out of our hands. After that fun we went back to shore and boarded our transport back to the ship.

We were scheduled for our 2nd excursion of the day, Le Petit Train. It’s a small open-air train to explore a relaxing 2-hour orientation tour of the city. In the downtown area we drove past the World War II American Memorial, dedicated
FishFishFish

We are in pretty shallow water and have enjoyed the beautiful coral and start to see fish under the boat.
to our soldiers. The tour also took us back to the popular tourist area, past the place where we got onto our glass-bottom boat ride, along the fabulous Promenade Vernier that was made possible by the Rotary Club, and in the bays to see the kites that propel the wind surfers. We went up to a vista point overlooking the island, breathtaking views of surrounding islands and incredible blue waters. From there you could also see the huge nickel plant, which is the primary industry of the island. We also got a close-up look at the Notre Dame Du Pacifique, a fabulous statue and cross. After some refreshments there we re-boarded the train and headed back toward the ship, going past the first home that was built on the island and through another part of the downtown.

Early that evening, as we departed New Caledonia, we were treated to a traditional band and dancing send-off.



Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

More FishMore Fish
More Fish

There are 6 glass panels on the bottom of the boat for viewing.
Here Fishy-Fishy!Here Fishy-Fishy!
Here Fishy-Fishy!

After we've slowly made our way around the island, the captain stops at a differently shaped buoy and he takes some French bread out of a barrel in the bow and starts to feed the fish.
Feeding FrenzyFeeding Frenzy
Feeding Frenzy

The captain passes out bread for everyone to feed the fish and you can see the outcome...the water boils with fish of many different species.
This is Fun!This is Fun!
This is Fun!

Annette is having a blast with her bread. We did this for about 15-20 minutes and saw tons of fish.
Duck Island On Our Way BackDuck Island On Our Way Back
Duck Island On Our Way Back

Photo of the island as we return to shore. Look at the beautiful beach, umbrellas and lounge chairs. Wouldn't that be great to spend the afternoon there?
Photographer Shooting PhotographerPhotographer Shooting Photographer
Photographer Shooting Photographer

Doug is taking photos of the next group boarding the glass-bottom boat. Photo by Phil.
NextNext
Next

The next group going out to see fish. We hope they're not full after our feeding.
Le Petit TrainLe Petit Train
Le Petit Train

Our next excursion awaits boarding for our 2-hour tour of Noumea's highlights.
American Soldier MemorialAmerican Soldier Memorial
American Soldier Memorial

This flag memorial sits in a park at the center of Noumea's downtown and represents the fallen heros of World War II.
Over-water RestaurantOver-water Restaurant
Over-water Restaurant

This is a restaurant that sits in a beautiful location over the water.
NoumeaNoumea
Noumea

As we are at a higher elevation, this looks out over their beautiful horse racing track. It also shows the fabulous views from here.
Fabulous OverlookFabulous Overlook
Fabulous Overlook

We are at one of the highest overlooks near the city with breathtaking views.
The Happy TravelersThe Happy Travelers
The Happy Travelers

Doug & Annette with an incredible backdrop!
Tweedie and MacTweedie and Mac
Tweedie and Mac

Our Virtuoso leaders and friends.
Another ViewAnother View
Another View

This is also taken from the same overlook.
Waves From the PromenadeWaves From the Promenade
Waves From the Promenade

These folks are waving at the train from the Rotary-sponsored promenade along the beach that went for a long distance.
Notre Dame du PacifiqueNotre Dame du Pacifique
Notre Dame du Pacifique

At another high point on the island, we visit the Notre Dame du Pacifique.


Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0702s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb