Dravuni Island - Like Going Back in Time


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
October 25th 2015
Published: September 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -16.779, -179.907

Being a remote island with relatively no improvements, there is no pier for the Amsterdam to dock so today is another tender day. With no schedule to adhere to, we get breakfast, gather our things and saunter down to deck A where we luck out, board immediately and enjoy a pleasant 15 minute ride to Dravuni Island. As we approach, the beach and crystal clear water accented by sunlight stands out, offering several shades of blue and green water and no surf.

Less than two miles in length from north to south, Dravuni Island lies in the Kadavu Island group of Fiji. Its volcanic peaks give way to a remote village of just 200 or so friendly villagers who live among the island's shady palms. We're told these welcoming locals and their children often sing to arriving visitors. The largely untouched island is less than half a square mile in area, but its rugged volcanic terrain makes for invigorating exploration.

Walking onto the island, we can see small houses and huts, several school buildings, empty tables tucked under palm covered fales and the sound of people not of our ship. On the beach and shallows we see our fellow passengers lounging in the sun and swimming in the inviting waters. With our snorkeling gear at hand, we first meander through the beachside village, checking out the houses and school. The people are in church right now although there are a few milling about. Mom takes some pictures inside the school which is open for our inspection. It is Sunday and the usual flea market stands are empty because most islanders strictly follow their religion and rest on Sundays. Although we might look at it as an opportunity to cash in on occasional cruise ship visits with food and souvenirs no matter what day it is, they stand firm in their convictions and the island visit remains more quiet than had we visited on another day.

With nothing to buy, we try out the beach, finding a dry location on some huge rocks buried in the sand, grab our snorkeling gear and head out into the ocean. Mom is hesitant, concerned that there could be shark, eel, barracuda and jellyfish in the water. I explained that she's right in that all those things are in the water but she should be safe here. Slowly she enters the water, then hands me her sunglasses which I put on the beach, then her ID, which I take back to the rock. Finally, having used up all her stall tactics, we start snorkeling off the beach into about 6' of water. I GoPro the process until she realizes she can't touch bottom anymore, then pulls a 180 and heads back towards shore. She does manage to take a few pictures of me and some fish before returning to the beach.

We dry off, visit with our friends from Holland, take a few pictures and then wander back through the village towards our tender dock. We stop to chat with some kids and Mom meets Eva, a young girl with short hair, that tells us about her experiences on Dravuni. The people came to this island from other islands about 50 years ago and everyone on the island is related. Unlike some underdeveloped areas, they understand the dangers of marriage within the family so brides or grooms are sought out from other islands. Dravuni's people are very friendly and always says Bula (hello, welcome) to all visitors. Her group of friends sing us some songs which I video and then we return to the ship. A truly great experience.

Back aboard, we both relax by the pool with a snack, then return to the room, shower and dress for our dinner. As usual, we are greeted as "Mr & Mrs Meedows"' however, this time we are seated by ourselves at the aft window and watch the sunset as we leave Dravuni on our way to Nuku'Alofa, two days away. Tonight, we have time to see our portraits taken a couple of nights ago. There have been a few good ones taken throughout our trip. The comedy of Dick Hardwick entertains us at 8pm and afterwards, although we want to check out "Betty" upstairs at the club, we assume the roles of two old fogies and turn in for the night. Besides, we turn our clocks forward tonight, losing an hour of sleep. It's difficult, keeping up the grueling pace.


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.214s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb