FIJI JUNE 08


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
August 17th 2008
Published: August 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We took a last minute holiday in Fiji, Coral Coast; this is a popular winter destination for Aussies. The Fijian people were just delightful at Hideaway resort, the weather was great and we were surrounded by lovely, mature tropical gardens. We booked in for 6 dives, there was a distinct lack of big fish, the locals 'fish to live' and there are 'token' controls in place to prevent over fishing in the area. Our dive guide thought his boat would be trashed if he reported anyone infringing the fishing zones. This is really sad because now there is little chance of the fish stocks replenishing and soon no one will have any fish to eat on this stretch of coast. There were lots of pretty little reef fish and the deep wall drop offs were really great with some fine examples of plate coral. It's a long time since we have dived in seas 29 degrees C and it was a joy to wear a shortie!

The trip to ECO-PARK was worth it to see the beautiful bright green iguanas. We enjoyed the break, food was great, an all inclusive for 6 nights was a good deal. There are lots of tiny islands worth visiting so maybe we'll return sometime to do some exploring.



Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0445s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb