Navua River Tour


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji
June 24th 2008
Published: June 24th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This day was one of the most interesting days of my life.

We got picked up at 7:30am and loaded up on a bus.
We drove for about an hour and a half (picking others up along the way...got to see the rich resorts)
and then we get dropped off on the side of the Navua River.
We are given life jackets and rain coats and told to get into a boat that was more of a motorized canoe.

We tour down the river for about a half hour.
The scenery was amazing...waterfalls everywhere.
Everyonce and a while there would be people doing laundry in the river or kids playing.

Eventually we got off at a small village.
Kids (young kids..like 3 and 4) came down to meet us and get rice off the boat.

We then went into what would be sort of like their church....it was just a building with mats on the floor.
We got to see a Kava Ceremony. Kava is considered a narcotic that relaxes you....perfect for me I know.
It actually tasted pretty good and I plan on drinking it when panic about my new life sets in 😊

Then they fed us incredible food. It was all wild and locally grown.

After eating the women set up their 'shops" for us to buy jewlery that they had made.

Then we danced.

Afterwards we went on a tour of the village...which consisted of rooms with mats and that is about it.

The dogs there were so skinny it was painful to look at them.

One boy had 5 cents canadian that he wanted to trade for fiji dollars...when Jenn have him fiji dollars him and his mother began giggling with happiness.

The village sustains itself on the money from tourists. It was a strange thing to do...peer into other people's lives like that.
But I enjoyed seeing how others live so differently from me and hope to do something like it again


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.158s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0711s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb