Bula from Fiji - Like it? You'll love it!


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands
December 15th 2005
Published: December 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

minus 5 bar in Aucklandminus 5 bar in Aucklandminus 5 bar in Auckland

This is where we spent part of our last night in Auckland - the entire place (apart from obvious things such as the cash register) are made from ice including the glasses! The bar is kept at the temperature of minus 5 degrees celcius - they provide you with a coat, gloves and woolly shoes -needless to say its very cool
"Like it? You'll love it!" is actually the advertising slogan for Fiji Gold the local beer but it has become the slogan for our time in Fiji because we love it! Have attached a couple of photo's from our last night in Auckland because part of it was spent at the minus 5 bar - a bar made entirely of ice!

For the last 7 days we have been relaxing on Waya Sewa island (also nicknamed Waya Lai Lai) at the Waya Lai Lai eco haven resort - sounds incredibly posh I know -we stayed here for approximately 20 pounds a night including all meals and had a lovely time. The resort is owned by the villagers of the island and all the profits go towards improving the village, particularly the education of the children. We really enjoyed getting to know the locals who worked there and had the opportunity to try kava with them.

Kava is a traditional Fijian drink made from the crushed root of a type of pepper tree - it tastes like peppery water (I bet you didn't see that coming) and looks a bit like muddy water. There's lots of research being done into
minus 5 bar in Auckland (2)minus 5 bar in Auckland (2)minus 5 bar in Auckland (2)

There are lots of ice sculptures around the bar - I think some were left over from halloween
its health benefits including the potential to cure aids -apparently its good for high blood pressure. It is supposed to be a very mild narcotic but I can't say I noticed any effects except that it makes your tongue numb.

There was some evening entertainment put on for the guests but it depended on the night -this included the limbo and musical chairs friday night, a bonfire on the beach saturday night and traditional kava ceremony and feast cooked in lovo (underground oven a bit like maori hangi) on wednesday night!

We also visited the church on sunday and tried to sing o come all ye faithful in Fijian! The choir were very good, although most of the service was in Fijian we were made to feel very welcome. I think observing a sermon in another language is quite interesting - from the gesticulation and tone of voice I think he was preaching about hellfire and eternal damnation!

We also had the opportunity to do some snorkelling just offshore from where we were staying - lots of beautiful coral, brightly coloured fish and even a sea snake! Was quite scared when I saw it but I expect
Sunset from the planeSunset from the planeSunset from the plane

Just because it looked pretty
it was more scared of us! Also saw huge bright blue starfish - am really hoping underwater pictures come out well. have also collected some gorgeous shells from the beach and in true OT style have woven some bracelets!

The people of Fiji are so friendly and shout Bula which is the local greeting wherever you go! it is very relaxing here. I know we have had the amazing experience of travelling to lots of wierd and wonderful places but it was nice to just stop and relax for a week and have a beach holiday! I expect these photo's will make you ever so slightly jealous but guess what -I 'm jealous of the potential white christmas in the UK that you'll be having without me! The grass is always greener!

We are hoping over the next few days to see a bit more of the main island (Viti Levu) of Fiji including visiting the capital Suva and the central highlands. To any travellers reading this, if you get a chance to come to Fiji do it and visit the lovely people of Waya Sewa Island for a few days😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Waya Sewa Island in the Yasawa island groupWaya Sewa Island in the Yasawa island group
Waya Sewa Island in the Yasawa island group

This was our home for 6 nights!
Relaxing in a hammockRelaxing in a hammock
Relaxing in a hammock

Lazy days doing exactly as much or little as you want - sometimes the most exertion is actually getting into the hammock without falling out - are you jealous?!


16th December 2005

Jealous? Perhaps a bit!!!
No, we're not really jealous, but we love reading about all your exploits. What fantastic places you've been to! And what a good photographer you are! Have a lovely Christmas, Sarah, wherever you are on THE day. Debbie and Andrea send their best wishes, by the way. Love Carole and Mike.

Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 73; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb