Bula - Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands » Yasawa Island
September 20th 2010
Published: September 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Thurs 26th
We were up from 6am this morning after going to bed about 12.30am as we had to pack our stuff to take to the islands. The hostel is lovely that we stayed in last night and is right on the beach with cheap beer and food.
We had to catch the ferry to get to our first island which took 5 hours to get to. We then had to transfer onto a tiny boat to get to the actual island. Some of the way we had to walk in the sea. Every single female staff came out to greet us and to sing us a welcome song. Bula means - hello. We arrived at an island called Coral View.
We had hot dogs that day for lunch- never thought id have hot dogs on a tiny island.
We met such great people today, we had such a laugh and in fact I haven’t laughed like that for ages.
Nathan’s really bonded with a guy called Adam who is 23 and is a medical Scientist. I have named him Hugh as he looks so much like High Grant and even his mannerisms are like him. He’s Great!!We walked through a tiny Forrest to get to another beach where we layed for a while so we could get back for 4pm a sit was tea and cake time. Ummm
Walking up the summit was hard, it only took 20 mins but with flip flops on and moving rubble wasn’t a good idea. But hey ho it was great to watch the sunset from a height.
After dinner we had a few games put on by the Fijian crew and then we played our own card games. Becky was lovely and we had such a laugh!! What a fab group - brilliant!!!!

Fri 27th
We had an awesome day today! People have been asking us, if that, since we have been travelling has it felt like we have been travelling around the world or does it just feel like a holiday? Before Fiji it just felt like we were going along with things, didn’t feel like a holiday or didn’t feel like we were travelling but since Fiji this has felt like a complete holiday. This is because we have not had to worry about paying out for food, excursions or even have to worry about cooking because its all done for you and paid for. It is total bliss!
Today we started by going to an underwater cave. It was very scary because you had to walk down into the cave where you had to jump in the water where eels and red snapper live and then swin to the other side to then wait for the guide to dive under the water to the other side where he shone a torch, and that was our cue to start going one at a time to the other side but you couldn’t go until he would shine the torch at you again from under the water. When getting to the cave it was pitch black so it took a while for your eyes to adjust to the lighting. We swam to the other side of the cave(in the dark) where we leant against the cave so the guide could tell us a little bit about the history. Our guide was funny as he made us sing row row row your boat.
After lunch we caught a boat to Blue Lagoon beach, this was the best beach so far. We took our snorkeling gear with us but I got a little scared as Nathan and Terry saw 2 sea snakes - black and white. These are actually poisonous we found out later.
We got back to Coral View just in time for afternoon tea and pineapple cake. I must say they certainly know how to make their cakes!
I played my first game of Volleyball ever. I was rubbish at going for the ball but fantastic at serving and 99% almost every serve I would take I would score a point. The locals started calling me ‘point machine’ lol.
The evening came and we had our lovely tea and then played more games but this time it was with me involved, taking the lead around the room and making everyone copy me by doing silly dance moves. I had people shaking their bottoms like there was no tomorrow, slapping their bottoms, screaming and spinning around in circles.

Sat 28th
As we were off to Korovou island today we just lazed in the sun until the boat came for us at 12.30. Terry and Hugh went and did a shark feeding dive - brave.
Arriving at Korovou (again we got sang to).
We did a trip to swim with the Manta rays but unfortunately we didn’t see any. They took us in the middle of two island in the middle of the ocean to try and find them and as we couldn’t find them we did more snorkeling on the reef that was there. Im sure im going to have a heart attack soon with all of the things that I am doing out of my comfort zone! Open water with sharks……ummm. Why can’t we just go horse riding or ………. Although we didn’t see any Manta rays we saw so many different fish and thousands of them. For snorkeling Fiji is so much better as you see so much more!.
Playing volleyball has become our 2nd sport he he. Hugh and Nathan, well and the locals can’t get over how I throw the ball and when I do I get a point almost every time. It just baffles everyone.
Never thought I’d have spaghetti bolognaise on a remote island. It was lovely!
For some reason we were both so tired that night we went to bed at 8pm and I slept until 8.15 the next day when Nathan has to wake me up. I think I was definitely on Fiji time.

Sun 29th
Our mate High aka Adam and Germany were leaving the island that day so we all just chilled on the beach until 2pm when they left. It was really quite sad as we were really close to them as we had spent 4 days with them and has the best time ever! I can only imagine it feels like that on 'shipwrecked' programme when tiger or Shark island have to say good bye to their fellow team mates that have become their best mates.
We took advantage of our snorkelling gear so we had a snorkel directly out by our resort.

Mon 30th
Today was the day for our island hop so again we had a chilled day by the beach and we fed the local fish with pancakes lol. Also we were shown how to get into a coconut island style. We played some more cards with our friends until the boat finally came to pick us up. Vinaka menas thank you in Fijian and vinaka vaka levu means thank you very much.
We arrived at our next island " Kuata". This is the best island so far, as the staff make you feel so welcome and make you feel as if your part of their family and not just a tourist.
We did the usual, drop bags into room and have a little look around. I couldn't resist the massage for $20 Fijian dollars. So thats where I layed for the next half an hour. Hell yeah!
that night we sat out on the decking, about 20 of us sat in a circle, singing, drinking Cava and doing a little dancing to the guitar. this is the Fijians traditional drink. Cava. It basically makes your mouth go a little numb and make you feel as if you have had too many spliff's. It was so lovely all of us singing and dancing and playing their games whilst they played the guitar. Makes you realise you dont need a tv or a playstation. I had more fun doing this than watching tv! It was so chilled. The drink is discusting and tastes like washing up liquid followed by dirty water.

Tues 31st
Busy busy day today! Snorkelling in the ocean with nothing around you apart from sharks, reef octopus, sting rays and one tiny boat. How cool though to see sharks right underneath you. I thought it would be alot more scared but actually it felt quite peaceful.
In face the weather came in quite cloudy that day so we used the free kayaks and rowed over to the other island 'Wayalaili' where some of our friends were staying. This was quite tiring trying to paddle through wind and the sea was getting a little choppy. By the time we had lunch it was raining so heavy we did some weaving. I made a bookmark and Nathan made a bracelet.
tea and butter cake for the afternoon today then followed by fishing in the evening.Tthe only person that caught something was Germany and the boy who took us out there. It was barbarrick how they skinned it and then cut into it whilst still alive. I had to turn away and really wanted to tell them to stop but had to respect, this is how they live.
That night we had a 'typical' Fijian night with the food that they cook under ground and then we were shown a reall Cava ceremony. this is how they would greet the government. It's very serious and very good to watch.

Wed 1st
Again time to move on but we didn't have to leave until 3pmso once again we just chilled and packed our bags. I had another massage from Vanie and then we did some weaving which I made a ring. This was so nice as I went to the staff living quaters and whilst she was doing her chores of washing I sat there on a blanket and made this ring. the children came up and sat with me whilst I was doing this. Vannie has asked Nathan and I to go back to Fiji and stay with her in her house with her family. I was really touched. She gave me her e mail address and home address.
I have the runs today. Oops.
We had two Austians, Christoff and Lydia and Christoff came back from doing the shark dive what we did the day before in a really mood because the engine of the boat fell into the middle of the ocean. Which meant that the resort lads had to swim 5k to get a boat, obviously they didnt have mobile phones, its Fiji time. Christoff was complaing that they didn't have life jackets, sun cream, mobile phone to ring for help. Come on it's Fiji they do not have rules. I tell you the men out here are like machines to swim 5k and not think nothing of it. Christoff could have acted the hero here if her was clever enough because he could have swam with them or her could have kept the girls calm that were screaming and crying but no he acted like a complete fag!! The water was rough that day as well!
So as the weather had turned really bad, we got on the yellow boat and there were some very sick people. I have never been on a boat whilst it has been that bad before. The waves were massive, I loved every single minute of it and thank god we were not poorly. i obviouslt have my dads sea legs because mum would have beeb green on top deck. infact it was that bad they shut the top deck. Germany was so poorly but he had been poorly that morning with sickness so a rocky boat ride was not good for him. There was a guy that puked everywhere on deck, all on his legs, shoes, on the floor. I felt so sorry for him.
After a two hour boat trip we were nearly at our next destination but the engines blew up, but thank god we were out of the middle of the ocean and nearer to the main land so it sheltered us a little from the waves. Although we were still being thrown around like ragdolls. At one point I actually got a little scared because I though the boat might have tipped on its side it was so rough.
Arrived at our next island 'Bounty'. We had dinner and went to bed pretty much.

Thurs 2nd
Thank god it was sunny today as we have had cloud, sun and rain for the past 3 days. All we did today was chill by the pool sun bathing reading a book and then kayaking around the island.
Ben arrived at the island which was so nice to see as we havent seen him for a few days.
I hadn't eaten tea because of my funny belly and were getting worse. Flat pepsi was on the gender for tonight.
It was so cool, we were sat near the beach and Nathan saw baby sharks on the shaw line. There must have been about 50 with mum and dad. White and black tip sharks.
The staff here were not overly friendly after being spoilt at Kuata. Out of all the island we went to we thought Coral view was lovely and for the people we met and then Kuata because it was a typical island style life.

Fri 3rd
We said our goodbyes to Ben and made our way to the Seaspray trip. Walking on the boat we heard a little voice shout out Nathan's name and there he was Germany. We were so glad we didnt go to Beachcomer island because he had his wallter stolen from under his pillow whilst he was sleeping.
Even though I was recovering with having the runs I couldnt help myself but have the champagne and a bun that they were handing out on the Seaspray boat.
Our first stop was at 'Mana' island, this is where Castaway was filmed. Snorkelling again after jumping off the boat into the water and what lovely white sand there was on the beach. There was even the wooden statue there that Tom Hanks made for the film.
After snorkelling and looking around the island we had lunch and fish for the first time in Fiji. whoop whoop. It was free drink and food on the boat all day.
We were then taken to a local village where we had another Cava ceremony. This was an eye opener as well (the way they lived). the but that made our day was seeing dolphins swim with the boat and jumping out the water and doing 360 degree turns. AMAZING!!! We missed Kaikora in NZ which is where the dolphins and whales are so this made up for it.
When we got off the boat I had to rush to the toilet but that wasn't bad after all day of drinking and infact we were a little squiffy. In fact we forgot to pick our bags up from the boat so we had to run back to the boat to find they had been placed in a different area and by the time we got them our transport had left, so we just hopped on another bus and hopped that it would go passed our accommodation. Infact they radio'd through to the bus and they waited for us.
We got back to Smugglers Cove to find Becky, Shelly, and Terry waiting for us. It was so nice to see them again.
We had a mental night that evening as Germany got a taxi and came to Smugglers to spend the last night with us. Nathan cannot handle afternoon drinking so he went to bed at 9pm and by the time 11pm came it was Terry, Shelly, Mic, Germany and Becky left playing games and looking up at the stars. I didnt get to bed until 4am that night.

Sat 4th
I woke up at 7am so 3 hours sleep is not enough for 15 hours drinking. W ehad showers and the sat in the shade until we had to depart to go to the airport. Back to Auckland for the night and to see Arnie and Claire for the night.
Terry, Nath and I were on the same flight to Auckland and then on the same flight to Cairns.
It was lovely to see Arnie and Claire again and it just felt like we had arrived back home again and we had been on holiday. Bless Arnie he made pasties for our dinner and again they were huge, only could eat half of it though.

Unfortunately the blog has not uploaded all of the pics so we stil have 200 more photos of Fiji. You will have to wait until we get home next year xxxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 243, Displayed: 33


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb