Bula bula from Fiji and Vinaka


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Yasawa Islands » Nanuya Island
May 16th 2017
Published: May 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Bula bula from Fiji- from start to finish this place has been amazing. We arrived in the early hours of the morning to be welcomed not only by the heat but also by a band playing traditional Fijian music. So to say it made us smile is an understatement!
A few hours later we were lying on the beach, cocktail in hand, having had a pedicure and massage. The grand total for the above- less than £25!!! We could tell the Fijian lifestyle was going to suit us. In the evening we experienced Fijian Kava (no not cava- definitely NOT cava) which is widely drank out here like alcohol. After observing the local customs we tried it and both came to the unfortunate conclusion it tasted like muddy water!! I think we will stick to beers.
Because we only had a week here, we crammed a lot into a short space of time. The next day we were aboard the ferry early morning bound for Nanuya Balavu Island for stay at Manta-ray bay. We departed the port to news that a cyclone would be following in our footsteps ( I swear we should rename ourselves the cyclone girls!)
Again we arrived to the warm and friendly voices of the Fijians by private tender to our island. Due to the impending cyclone we didn't mess about with getting into the water quickly for some snorkelling. The snorkelling was fabulous- there was a huge reef literally in front of us on the beach. We saw a few familiar faces,fish wise before drying off on the sun deck to watch the sun go down! Bliss doesn't quite come close.
The next day we were all prepared for the cyclone but we never saw it! There was some strong winds and rain that night but other than that we had a day of glorious sunshine, more cocktails and more snorkelling! It's tough this life! We were also called early in the morning to get the chance to swim with the manta-rays. We dithered a little but I am so glad we went. Not only did we see them, we actually got really close to them. Boy are they huge!! They are bigger than a normal persons arm span easily. They are so majestic with it though and very agile. It was another amazing experience that will be hard to forget!
The next day we were back on the boat to the main land in the afternoon- not really wanting to come back.
From the main land we were planning to head down to the coral coast in the south of the main island but were put off by a local. So after a re think and a juggle we booked onto a tour of the main island in the afternoon and a day boat trip the next day.
On the island tour we went to see the biggest temple in the Southern Hemisphere for Hindus, visited a local market (although I was more interested in watching the local rugby), the garden of the sleeping giant and the mud baths/hot springs. The gardens of the sleeping giants was a huge orchid garden nestled in the Fijian foothills growing over 2000 different types of orchids. It was really rather pretty.
The mud baths were just that- muddy! Jo loved it but I took a little more persuading to get into the actual mud pool ( personally I think a muddy pond/ cess pit is more accurate) but there was a plus side, we got to rinse off in the hot springs after. We left feeling very relaxed.
The next day it was up early again to cruise around the Mamanuca islands for the day. We stopped off for a swim and beach time at Castaway island ( not actually called castaway) where they also filmed Tom Hanks in the movie. We had a picture with the famous 'help me' coconuts and filmed ourselves screaming after Wilson, before back on the boat for some lunch. Our next stop was a local village in the island for a walk about. We visited on a Sunday, so unfortunately no market or cultural performance. Back on the boat and more cruising around the islands before back to the main land for our last night in Fiji.
We have had a truly lovely time in Fiji and the photos really do not do it justice. We have both said we will be back to experience some more beautiful people, smiles and islands in the future. For now we are at the airport waiting to catch our flight for Hong-Kong! Another day another continent.
Vinaka Fiji lots of love Lauren and Jo



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0973s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb