Rainforest


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Suva
November 10th 2002
Published: November 10th 2002
Edit Blog Post

The Raintree Lodge is located just outside Suva, up in the hills, amongst the trees. It rained. Not unexpected, the rainforest is famous for this kind of thing. Just next to the hostel is the Colo-i-Suva forest, complete with mysterious waterfalls and pools.

The hostel was really quiet, only 6 other backpackers were staying in the hostel. Two of the guys I got on with - Rusty and Jake - were typical loud and friendly Americans, typical expcept for one thing - they were really into rugby. When I questioned them about their lack of loyalty to American Football they said - "We used to play football when we were younger but then we found out there was a much better game". Their tour of New Zealand and Fiji had seen them play rugby in two of the most rugby crazy countries in the world.

I spent the next day with Rusty and Jake tramping through the forest and making our way to the pools. The largest pool was the setting for a really cool rope swing, standing about 8m up and leaping out over the pool was great fun, letting go as momentum stopped and plunging into the pool. Hanging out with the guys was great - "that was cool man - now trying swinging out upside down".

Apart from the pools there wasn't much to do in the rain forest, and it was raining too much even for me. I decided to head back to the Beach House for my last two nights in Fiji. The second time in the Beach House was just as cool, though the weather had deteriorated - only one game of beach volley ball. The days were spent playing chess and cards. I had forgotten what a great game chess is, haven't played more than one game since high school, but the level of strategy and planning involved in winning a game is beyond anything else I've played. One thing is that unlike cards, there is very little luck (none) involved, the better player always wins if there is a significant difference in ability. Finding someone of around the same ability is important.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0366s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb