Fiji, Nadi, Coral View, Korovau, Waya Lai Lai, South Sea


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Nadi
March 14th 2010
Published: March 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

BULA!

We arrived in Nadi International on the mainland Fiji, 6th March at 6:00am. We had a short transfer to the Hostel, which was more like a hotel than a hostel with two pools and two restaurants, a movie room and games room. We quickly felt at home! As we started early we lazed around in the sunshine by the pool. After recovering from some jet lag, we lost the 5th of march, it never happened, we had dinner in the restaurant which was really good food and cheap. We re-packed leaving some heavier thicker clothing at the hostel on the mainland.

Our island hopping adventure started at 6:30am; after breakfast we jumped aboard the window less bus to take us to the marina. Denarau port was very pleasant with a golf course winding between the large sea front villas. We then got on the 'Awesome Adventures' yellow catamaran for the four hour trip to the northern Tavewa island at Coral View resort. We were welcomed off the boat with a Fijian Bula song (their word for welcome/ hello and hooray all rolled in to one) with guitars and a welcome drink. The dinner was an assortment of rice, potato, fish and fruit all on one plate. Accommodation was basic but great and nice and clean. We visited two beaches and Mark managed to break into a fresh coconut- he says it wasn't worth the hassle!

On our second day at Coral View, we visited a nearby island which had a hidden cave. It was huge but only accessible via a narrow passage that led to a deep cold pool inside. We then explored, swimming underwater into another adjoining room with only a torch for light. It was incredible but scary; before we left we watched some of the locals climb up the cave wall, approx 6 metres high and jump in. The Fijians were very friendly but slightly mad...
Despite our best efforts to stay creamed the heat eventually won and Mark ended up burnt and thus slept painfully.

The next day we departed south for the Island resort of Korovau. This was not as well established as Coral View, however, it too had a nice sandy beech with a warm welcoming party! Korovau also had a swimming pool, which although was fairly well Chlorinated, was still very pleasant to swim in. After having a really odd oniony soup for dinner, which was thick due to the large amounts of pepper involved making us smoke at the ears, we watched the evening entertainments. This again was less organised than Coral View and consisted of scantily clad men with names like Mr Sam dancing around, forcing unhappy germans to do the same and generally forcing everyone into a bizarre interpretation of the conga. We went to bed very sweaty and tired.

After spending the next morning laying in the hammocks provided we departed again further south, via the very choppy big yellow cat to the island resort of Waya Lai Lai. Waya Lai Lai is the only resort we visited that was owned and maintained by the residents. The accomodation was large and clean, and the resort well run, and there was a really nice family feel. The food here was really good. We were invited to Weave with the locals. This was very simple and involved weaving dried and treated sheets of palm tree. We were also able to pick-up shelly souvenirs. In the evening we were treated to a performance of the local Entertainment Group. This had around fifteen members playing various instruments and all singing traditional Fijian songs. It was an excellent end to the day.

The following day we had a snorkelling trip as part of our package. We travelled by boat for around twenty minutes out to sea, meanwhile casually dropping off two locals in the middle of the Pacific ocean with spears to fish. When we reached a completely random coral reef in the middle of the sea we disembarked with our snorkelling gear and swam around looking at the various colourful fish and coral. After looking around for a bit a few playful reef or silvertipped sharks swam along to see what the fuss was about. The locals fed them a few fish and they were then able to be touched; feeling very smooth and quite soft. The water was really clear and although we could not take photos, it was fantastic diving down and swimming with them. Suzanna was a bit scared, but overcame her fears and really enjoyed it. Later that day we rented a snorkelling set and Mark was able to see a reef shark in the wild, scouting for fish (or unsuspecting swimmers!). Mark also played volleyball and football with some other friendly travellers.

The next day we skipped breakfast as the previous one consisted of cake, not really what was required before a day of swimming, however, we missed what turned out to be a rather pleasant eggy bread bonanza. Mark again went snorkelling, but this time was greated by a local that was diving around six metres down. He jesticulated for me to swim down and meet him, and then offered me his spare diving mouthpiece. after coughing and spluttering a bit i got the hang of it and he dragged me down and we swam along together for a while spotting a six foot Barracuda.

We then departed the island at 3 heading to the farthest south island before the mainland called South Sea Island. It was tiny, a ten minute walk was all the was required to circumnavigate the entire island. The accomodation was basic, but the food and atmosphere was excellent. We played crab racing, and despite number 24 - our crab - doing his best, he was unable to win. After chhosing not to partake in the drinking games we sat diown with some travellers that we had hopped with on all the islands, resulting in a really fun evening.

On saturday we had again as part of our package a cruise that sailed between islands, dropping us off, with Mark diving off the boat, at the island where the movie 'Castaway' was filmed for some snorkelling. Neither Tom nor Wilson were around, but it was great fun never-the-less. We then climbed aboard and had a fantastic BBQ lunch, which consisted of Spanish Mackerel, sausage and chicken kebab to go along with the buckets full of fruit and salad. All the drinks, both soft and the other variety, were included!

We then headed over the bay to a traditional Fijian village. We were invited to take part in the Kava ceremony, a way of asking for, and being given, admittance onto the island. A drink is concocted from the roots of a locally pulled plant that is absorbed into water, like the tea making process. Our elected 'Chief' is then invited to drink. We were then able to look around the village, visiting the shell market, community centre and seeing the local church, a focal point of the village. it was really interesting to see the local people going about their daily routines. We had to be fairly quick on our return to the mainland, as there was news that a cyclone was soon to hit Fijian waters. We then were able to stay for one night at the Hotel Hostel on the mainland.

Fiji has been a fantastic experience. We have both really enjoyed our time on the islands meeting some great people, being welcomed into the truly unique culture and lifestyles and being engulfed by sheer tropical island beauty. We will really miss 'Fiji Time'.

Isa Lei Fiji.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



14th March 2010

hello.
Looks like you are having an amazing time. I am SOOSOSOSOSO jelous. Fiji looks beautiful, cant believe you are in NZ already. hope your both well. keep blogging, its a nice break from reading about photographs. much love, kate. xxxxx

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb