Snap Crackle and Beqa Lagoon, Diving in Paradise


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Viti Levu » Coral Coast
February 15th 2008
Published: February 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

DUDE!!!!DUDE!!!!DUDE!!!!

Diving Snap Crackle, Coral Coast
The second half of our week comprised mostly of diving. As it had been two months since our last dives we were keen to get back in the water. We went with a local company and soon realised Fiji has very relaxed laws. As we are open water divers, technically we are only allowed to go to a maximum depth of 18m. Our Fijian instructor however decided 29m seemed more suitable!! In diving terms this would be classed as a deep dive, oh well! We went to a site called Snap Crackle where we saw a cave, pretty cool especially as its the first we have seen. A huge lobster poked his head out and a very inquistive turtle came to within inches of Becs S. Although not particularly different from previous dives, the visibility was second to none and to swim against a giant wall of coral was fun. What was a little different was that we didn't have to wear wet suits as the water was so warm, a welcome change.

The second dive saw the instructor stop the boat in just a random location and off we went to explore a new dive site. Originally she called the site Snap Crackle 2. This brought Becs C dive count to a respectable 11 dives in 3 different countries.

For Becs S however the diving wasn't over. She had been dreaming of swimming with sharks since she first time she saw the film Jaws, a very long time ago. When the opportunity presented itself to dive the Beqa Lagoon which is home to Bull and Tiger Sharks and is aptly described (by the lonely planet) as one of the top 5 shark dives in the world, she couldn't resist. Bec C however had no ambition for a shark bite and decided to sit this one out.

Although certainly nervous and a little apprehensive about diving into shark infested waters, she jumped in and decended to 26m. The group sat behind a rope with a sand wall behind them (so the sharks couldn't unexpectedly come from behind). The instructors just a matter of feet away on the other side of the rope opened a bin and began the feeding. Immediately they were swamped by the biggest fish we'd seen yet. And then as if coming out of the darkness, sharks began circling the feeding area. It was the most awesome sight. They swam with such an authorative presence yet they are not frightening in the slightest as strange as that may sound to some. Even when they came right up to the rope and glided across us showing us their belly, a warning sign that they get first pick of the food, it wasn't intimidating.

On this first dive we saw Blacktip Reef Sharks, Grey Reef Sharks, Whitetip Sharks, Lemon Sharks and mostly Tawny Nurse Sharks. The Nurse shark been the largest measuring a cool 8-9ft. During the feeding we were invited one by one to touch the shark as they fed, the only warning was not to touch them in the mouth! There were 3 nurse sharks as Becs S took her turn, the texture of the skin was like sand paper, very rough. After 20 minutes of watching these incredible species we swam up to 10m where a nearby shipwreck lay. Although not huge it was still amazing to see.

After an hour break on the surface we took to the sea again, this time down to 18m. Similar set up to the first dive with the same type of sharks but with the
Play TimePlay TimePlay Time

Bec C and her unusual diving method
added bonus of the Bull Sharks! A similar size to the Nurse Sharks if not a little bigger, Becs S was ecstatic to see these bad boys. One shark even swam just a foot or so directly over her head whilst desending, an awesome sight. After the 20 mintues feed again we had a swim about. The sharks came up too and glided so effortlessly around and below us. It was simply mesmorising. Unfortunately no Tiger Sharks were to be seen as it was the season for turtles to lay their eggs and the Tiger Sharks take full advantage of this fact.

The whole expereince was out of this world, not just the sharks but Beqa Lagoon has brilliant visibility, colourful coral, an array of magnificently colourful fish, some large some small, a small wreck and for Bec S, a dream come true. Bring on the Great Whites!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Bec S and the DudeBec S and the Dude
Bec S and the Dude

Diving Snap Crackle, Coral Coast
Pre-Dive precautionsPre-Dive precautions
Pre-Dive precautions

Bec C strapping up before diving
The WallThe Wall
The Wall

Snap Crackle dive, Coral Dive
Ship WreckShip Wreck
Ship Wreck

Beqa Lagoon
The WallThe Wall
The Wall

Snap Crackle, Coral Coast
FishFish
Fish

Big Fish, diving Coral Coast
Bec C divingBec C diving
Bec C diving

Snap Crackle, Coral Coast
Sharks and fishSharks and fish
Sharks and fish

Bec S and her shark dive, Beqa Lagoon
Diving the wreckDiving the wreck
Diving the wreck

Bec S at Beqa Lagoon


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 55; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb