Village life, Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Vatulele
November 25th 2017
Published: November 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Sanasona  village (a 20 minute walk from Yatule resort, at Natadola beach) was such a humbling and interesting visit.... after crossing a rickety old railway bridge, our small tour group was shown the laws of entry into the village, immediately removing our hats and sunglasses. ..the first stop was a meeting hut structure for 65 year old, chief, who sits under the bon wood central post and his 7 tribal leaders who drink cava and direct and disapline the 500 village population. Whipping with large sticks and banning the perpetrator out of the village, for any one who breaks tribe rule. Every member of the village thus stands for the entire community, in tact with land rights, laws and ancient and current rules. This meeting hut's name is Korowaiwai. It is warm in winter and hot in summer and made with no nails. Used also for weddings, funerals and mass sleeping in extreme temperatures or emergency shelter. There is a community hall and Methodist Church in the village. A woodern 'lali' drum gets beaten at 4am every day and three times a day on Sunday. Church service starts at 10am. This is a very well preserved culture of every day, Fijian village life of dance, stories, song art, legends, medicine, ceremonies, art, carvings, food and drink. There are so many complex ritules and ancient beliefs throughout the islands and rich diverse culture with some 300 dialects of Fijian language, that we were so lucky to be invited in to have a quick peep.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0641s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb