Eels, sharks & sailboats


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Taveuni
July 6th 2008
Published: July 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Toby in his suluToby in his suluToby in his sulu

Sorry I missed adding this previously!
We flew to Taveuni, "the Garden Island of Fiji." It's called the Garden Island because it rains ALL THE TIME. We hiked to a waterfall and spent the night at the lodge there. No power and worse yet, no beer or wine. Oh the travesty! We passed the evening talking with a Dutch girl about travel and then tucked in to our twin beds. Not the most romantic anniversary we've ever had.

We boated across the Somosomo Straight and stayed at the Dolphin Bay Divers Resort. It's right on the beach and we were able to get our dog fix in with Boxer and Socks. We went diving four times and one of the dives at "Jerry's Jelly" was one of the best I've ever done. We saw tons of weird and beautiful fish, a blue ribbon eel, sharks, and a green sea turtle. We saw a very rare mantis shrimp about 8-10" long. It's capable of attacking prey at supersonic speeds though it was just sitting sit there letting us all oggle him.

The dive resort had a lovo for the resort owner's b-day. It's an underground oven like a lu'au in Hawaii. Everything tasted great but we
view from planeview from planeview from plane

We flew from Suva to the island of Taveuni. Lots of islands surrounded by coral reefs shining through the green and turquoise water.
most liked the pulsami, a taro leaf dish. I got the recipe from the chef so I can try at home substituting spinach for taro. The day before it was Toby's b-day and they put "happy birthday Toby" on a cake for him. So nice!

We took a ferry to Savusavu. It has one of the most beautiful harbors I've ever seen. There are quite a few expats here as this is one of the rare spots in Fiji where they let foreigners buy land. So there are more than the average number and quality of bars and restaurants. We had lunch on a wharf yesterday and I had yummy chicken, coconut, lemongrass soup. And then I ordered homemade ice cream. The coconut was good but the rum raisin was TO DIE FOR! Then we did a bit of bar hopping because I've heard that beer is good for a cold. ;-)

Gotta catch a bus now. Ciao!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Lavena waterfallLavena waterfall
Lavena waterfall

We walked 1 1/2 hours along a coastal trail to get to this waterfall. You are supposed to swim through two small pools to reach the waterfall but the water was too high, the current too strong, and there was a potential to be pulled under the water beneath the falls. So we opted to just shoot a picture from the last rocks poking out of the water.
Bay in TaveuniBay in Taveuni
Bay in Taveuni

We had fish and chips at a restaurant overlooking this bay.
SharkShark
Shark

He didn't come up and say "cheese!" He was sleeping and Toby snuck up on him for a pic.
Lunch on wharf in SavusavuLunch on wharf in Savusavu
Lunch on wharf in Savusavu

I could sit here all day and enjoy the view with a Fiji Bitter.
Savusavu harborSavusavu harbor
Savusavu harbor

Is this picture perfect or what?!
Sunset in SavusavuSunset in Savusavu
Sunset in Savusavu

C&P: We need to buy a sailboat and sail the S. Pacific before we move to the compound. ;-)


7th July 2008

Dress
Toby you look pretty good in a dress, did your mom teach you how to wear a dress so wel. Where are the pics of Lisa, she cant e camera shy!
7th July 2008

bula!
hey hey! hows it going?? :) Hope all is well with the both of you. anyways just saying a very quick hello because i gotta get some shut eye. hear from you laters. moce
7th July 2008

Envious
Love the updates and pics. What a great place. I think we're heading to Fiji next year! Well, let me get back to my debits and credits :) When and where is your next major destination?
7th July 2008

OMG! Heaven!
Wow! Sitting on that wharf with a Fijian bitter...that's a little bit how I would imagine heaven. Thanks for taking the time to share all your experiences! It's amazing! I may have to come out and join you somewhere. ;)
7th July 2008

Paradise
You guys really are in paradise. Another must go place to put on our list. The photos and stories are great! I started my Monday off with your email. Now I really don't feel like working!
7th July 2008

Wow - What an Adventure!
Hi Lisa and Toby, Great photos and narrative! Thanks for sharing this with us! Happy and safe continued travels.... Dawn
10th July 2008

Hi Bruce
Toby's dad was afraid he'd grow up and wear dresses when Karen made him do the dishes. And see, he was right! ;-) Toby takes the underwater pics and Lisa the land pics so there just aren't many of Toby's better half. ;-) Toby says he's better looking anyway. DOUBLE ;-) ;-)
10th July 2008

Hi Dwayne
Thanks for the drinks in Levuka. Are you still abstaining since your Uncle died? It's gotta be a long 100 days!!!
10th July 2008

Hi Dan
You're going to have a great time here. Though I think you'll be staying in nicer digs than us (we're happy when we get a place with hot showers!) There's one across the street from us you guys would like. We're in Pacific Harbor and it's called The Pearl. Have fun with the debits and credits (as if you deal with those these days anyway!) Heading to Samoa on the 13th for 16 days. That's the 12th for you since you are on the other side of the date line. Ciao!
10th July 2008

Hi Stacey
That would be great if you could come join us somewhere. I'll post our general itinerary on the next blog and you can meet us someplace that strikes your fancy. Lots of great and INEXPENSIVE places to come. :)
10th July 2008

Hi Juanita
LOL! Don't work!!! Just say f' it and come along. :)
10th July 2008

Hi Dawn,
Thanks for the well wishes. Hope you are doing well. Ciao!
22nd July 2008

happy b-day
Happy Birthday Toby and Happy anniversary to both of you. I think you have the perfect place to celebrate. Just returned from the reunion. We talked about the adventure of a lifetime you guys are on. Keep in touch. Can't wait to get the next blog.

Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 9; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0713s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb