The Coral Coast, Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Nadi
November 7th 2009
Published: November 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Thursday 22nd October in Fiji, The Coral Coast

We arrived at Nadi airport at 4.50am and got given shell necklaces and greeted by a Fijian band. After an hour and a half minibus ride to our resort, the Warwick, on the coral coast, we began to chill out over a big breakfast buffet, with views across the turquoise lagoon to the breakers crashing on the reef. Yes, we had made it to paradise. The resort was nicely landscaped and the rooms were high standard with hardwood polished floors, massive walk-in showers and satellite TV (not that we are watching much - just BBC world). Lots of fish can be seen in the crystal clear lagoon…along with crabs and eels and star fish….and the resort had its own little island which has a restaurant on. We have booked Monday and Wednesday night there.
Liz spent a few hours in one of the hammocks and Andy went for an energetic run along the beach.

Friday 23rd October

We had a swim, sun bathe and snorkelling session today…..and also saw the pig roast (Lovo) in the pit in the ground, being dug up for dinner tonight, for the Meke dance night and Fijian feast. At 6.30pm we watched a tribe of fire walkers test their heat resistance by walking over hot stones….and then we enjoyed the Lovo pig plus lots of other traditional food (lots of potato/parsnip based dishes)….and watched the local dancers/singers perform under the stars.

Saturday 24th in Fiji

A very relaxing day just chilling…..

Sunday 25th in Fiji and Liz’s Birthday!

Today we went on a boat trip to the Mamanucas Islands…..South Pacific Island, Castaway Island, Mystery Island …..

It was a great trip on a lovely yacht and we stopped on route to the island for some snorkelling around the reef. There were lots of fish around, all of different colours, shapes and sizes. With everyone snorkelling the guide produced a loaf of bread and instructed each of us to hold it in a tight grip and then squeeze it to cause a few bread crumbs to flout out. This had a great effect as a few seconds after doing this you had a swarm of fish around you, some even seeing if our arms where edible!

We then chilled out on the island, enjoying lunch and a nice walk along a beach and loved the way that fish would happily swim to within a metre of the beach, so great to see.

On the return trip from the island the guides with a couple of guitars where signing various songs at the front of the yacht and then came over to surprise Liz with a Happy Birthday song.


Monday 26th
Just chilled out at the resort today, enjoying a Skype catch up with both sets of parents.

Played tennis in the early evening.

Meal over on the island seafood restaurant.


Tuesday 27th
Another day chilling out and playing tennis. We also sampled the Japanese restaurant for dinner and had a chef cook in front of us and entertain us - using the salt and pepper pots as drumsticks and then chopping a fried egg at high speed on the cooker….Liz had to shield herself from flying fried egg with her napkin much to the entertainment of the others around the table.

Wednesday 28th

Our last day in Fiji and so we relaxed and watched a fab Oz wedding in the hotel grounds. We had our last meal at the Wicked Walu restaurant on the island, and watched the fish below us as we ate our meal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 48; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb