Malolo Lailai Island, Fiji


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Mamanuca Islands » Malolo Lailai
December 10th 2008
Published: December 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So Musket Cove has its quirks... When I got in the other day I was immediately ambushed by mosquitos. Definitely need to load up on bug spray here! There are also these little brown frogs hoppin' around everywhere that I don't think are doing a very good job at eating these mosquitos. So cute yet so useless! The beach here is interesting too- The water is not very clear as there seems to be some type of algae growing from the ocean floor that I don't particularly enjoy stepping in. You can see it during low tide when all the water disappears from the cove, also not totally ideal. Guess that's why they put a huge swimming pool right behind it. So I went over to the next resort down the beach and out of the cove area, Plantation Resort, and it seems to have a perfectly normal beach at the end closer to the ocean. Crystal clear water so you can see all the fish swimming around. It's a good snorkel beach but I'd say the Mana Island beaches are still nicer. Though the diving is pretty sweet around the Malolo Barrier Reef. Went to a site called Wilke's Passage yesterday which was just a wall of coral that stretched as far up as I could see. Saw more reef sharks, sea turtles, school after school of fish that just kind of swirled all around us, and this time a couple rays which I could have probably done without. Not goin' down like Steve Irwin! So yeah, there's quite a bit o' wildlife to be experienced on Malolo Lailai! And tomorrow I'm off to New Zealand and the adventure continue...


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 18; qc: 69; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb