Kadavu


Advertisement
Fiji's flag
Oceania » Fiji » Kadavu Island
August 3rd 2007
Published: August 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Air Fiji PlaneAir Fiji PlaneAir Fiji Plane

The little 8 seater we flew to Kadavu in. The tiny building behind it is the aiport terminal :-)
I haven't been able to update for a while, apparently travel blog's servers crashed. I think my old entries might have been lost too....

Last time I updated, I was starting to get a sore throat. The morning after it was really bad and turning into a cold. We left Raintree lodge and headed for the airport, with a stop at a supermarket to get some soluble aspirin for my throat.

The plane to Kadavu was tiny, with 8 passenger seats. Upon arrival we discovered the place we had intended to stay was fully booked. Instead, we headed to a smaller offshore island called Galoa (no roads, shops etc) to stay at "Reeces place". We had a house to ourselves here. Well, no kitchen or power but 2 bedrooms a lounge and a bathroom... It was very rustic here, with a village like atmosphere. The family who run the place cooked our meals and I planned to go diving the next day. Lots of skinks living in the houses too!

The bays of Kadavu were full of pumice! It apparently came from a volcano in Tonga and floats about the ocean. It kinda ruins the beaches as they
Beach at Reaces PlaceBeach at Reaces PlaceBeach at Reaces Place

The bottom right is nice white sand... then pumice covering the sand, then pumice floating in the sea, then sea....
get covered in it, but its amazing to see it it floating on the water, looks solid until you stand on it. Sometimes it just completely disappears and the beach is clean, but it has come back 2 or 3 times now I think.

Unfortunately, the next day my cold was even worse as I had a runny nose and headache too. It was also raining. The other diver on the island had decided it was too cold for him to go out and I was feeling too crap to want to do anything. Israel went for a bird finding walk and I just stayed in bed all morning. This turned out ok, as I found a skink in the mosquito net to play with.

By lunch time I was feeling better so went beachcombing. There was heaps of interesting rockpool life, including super fast crabs and a baby zebra moray eel. For the afternoon we boated to mainland Kadavu for some birdwatching. We didn't see the bird Israel wanted, the guide kept saying "usually they are all over the place! Everywhere!". It was so funny, Israel has such bad luck.

After the 2nd night here, Israel
The house we slept inThe house we slept inThe house we slept in

No electricity!
took a 2nd quick trip to the mainland and luckily found his bird (whistling dove) this time. We then went back to the airport and headed for Taveuni.

I wish the circumstances had been better on Kadavu, because the little island seemed really interesting but I didn't get a chance to explore any of it.

Stay tuned for entries about Taveuni and Savusavu!

Oh and yes, My old entries have been lost. Stupid travel blog. I have no idea if they'll be restored successfully or not, so sorry if you missed out on earlier ones. I'll redo them after I get back if needed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

View from our verandahView from our verandah
View from our verandah

House on left is where the operator lived and where we ate meals.
Bebeh skink!Bebeh skink!
Bebeh skink!

Cute blue tail! Photo by Israel.
Green CrabbieGreen Crabbie
Green Crabbie

You wouldn't believe how fast these dudes run. So hard to catch!
beady McClawsersonbeady McClawserson
beady McClawserson

Photo by Israel
Land crab holeLand crab hole
Land crab hole

We had to spy on the crabbies through binoculars. They're big!
Pipefish?Pipefish?
Pipefish?

Israel made me hold a yucky dead fish so he could photograph it.
BoaBoa
Boa

The villagers found a snake, but killed it because they're not used to them :-(


7th August 2007

Sounds like a mixed trip
Sorry you not feeling so good but pleased that the worse is over. Bring back pumice. Skinks should be fun. Love your little house.

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.086s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb