Rarotonga, Cook Islands Blog #3


Advertisement
Cook Islands' flag
Oceania » Cook Islands » Rarotonga
February 20th 2017
Published: February 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

The Flamboyent TreeThe Flamboyent TreeThe Flamboyent Tree

A very common sight in Rarotonga
Our last couple of weeks in The Cook Islands was very relaxed. Crazy how we can put in a full day just "chillin out"!

I did go on a 4 hour bicycle tour with a local company and guide. The scenery was beautiful as we wound our way through the local villages and tropical forest. Every so often we would stop for a story about the history of the island, the local culture or some interesting information about some of the native plants and trees. We are amazed how most all of the trees around produce fruit that is either eaten or used for medicinal and antiseptic purposes some of which is exported to health food stores around the world. We tasted guava and candle nuts along the way.

The Cook Islands was originally inhabited by three main tribal groups. During the late 1800's missionaries arrived and eventually were accepted by the native people being converted to Christianity. Today there is a very strong local aboriginal influence. Captain Cook did much exploring and settling in the area and later the islands were renamed in his honour.

After a fiiasco with some Italian mafia who tried to build a
Miracle FruitMiracle FruitMiracle Fruit

So named as it is suppose to cure everything including arthritis and aging! They process it on the island and export especially to Japan.
5 star hotel and casino here in the 80's, laws were put into place to prevent any highrise buildings or casinos on the islands and to curb tourism. Hence the islands have a very local feel with many public beaches and parks. The island is 60% solar powered and hopes to be 100% by 2020.

Unfortunately most of the local people are rather overweight and we feel the culprit is the "deep fried" foods that are ready available on the island. Fish and seafood are most often friend in oil. We have eaten some fish n chips but usually ask for ours to be grilled.

The "big buy" here is black pearls which really make nice jewelry. You can buy different qualities ranging from $5 into the thousands per pearl depending on their perfection. I chose $25 pearls and had them made into studs which I am very happy with!

We fortunately stumbled upon a local bar and eatery a 10 minute walk from our bungalow. We really enjoy it there as it is mostly local people who congergate there as well as New Zealanders who have moved here to retire or run a business. They are very friendly and fun to visit. Some of them are sailors that are away 4 or 5 days at a time on freightors. Always interesting to hear their tales!

We headed out one night to a Rarotonga Dinner and show. The buffet was delicious and consisted of a fusion of local island food and well as a variety of salads, meats and vegetable dishes. The over the water show was spectacular with traditional drumming and dancing put together with the story of the origin of Rarotonga. Definitely a memorable evening!

Heading to New Zealand in a couple of days. Until then!



Mallory and Warren


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement




Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.077s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb